• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power Supply - 6SN7 KT88 PP Amp 50W

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm embarking on an 6SN7 / KT88 ~50W PP amp. There's a lot of fantastic designs so for power side the one I've settled on requires ~500/520v B+, 480v, -80v, plus supplies of 320v and 230v for driver and phase-splitter/re-amp stages.

There is a PSU design with it, but no choke in the circuit. I would have thought a choke is very desirable to help minimise ripple. If I don't have to use a choke it will help on cost saving of course! I plan to use a torroidal transformer type: "Toroidal: Shielded, Supreme Series // 230V sec.: 400V at 250mA, 80V at 250mA and 6.3V at 6A" from Dom Audio. This is the suggested by Dom Audio.

For diodes, I plan to use STMicroelectronics STTH1210D Switching Diode, 1000V 12A, 48ns.

I have re-posted the circuits - there's no copyright and they're already posted here.

Can anyone advise please...

Attachments

• PSU KT88 PP.jpg
    PSU KT88 PP.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 792
  • 6SN7 KT88 PP 50W.jpg
    6SN7 KT88 PP 50W.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 825
Thanks for your comment... I understood that would be the case, so was surprised to see there wasn't one in the design I uploaded.

I'm presuming ideally a choke in both outputs then (not heater)?

Hammond seem a logical choice of quality and cost from what I have read/seen.

Next question is what values!! Maximum of 250mA output suggests 250mA choke or should I add some headroom to 300mA?

Hello,

I'm embarking on an 6SN7 / KT88 ~50W PP amp. There's a lot of fantastic designs so for power side the one I've settled on requires ~500/520v B+, 480v, -80v, plus supplies of 320v and 230v for driver and phase-splitter/re-amp stages.

There is a PSU design with it, but no choke in the circuit. I would have thought a choke is very desirable to help minimise ripple. If I don't have to use a choke it will help on cost saving of course! I plan to use a torroidal transformer type: "Toroidal: Shielded, Supreme Series // 230V sec.: 400V at 250mA, 80V at 250mA and 6.3V at 6A" from Dom Audio. This is the suggested by Dom Audio.

For diodes, I plan to use STMicroelectronics STTH1210D Switching Diode, 1000V 12A, 48ns.

I have re-posted the circuits - there's no copyright and they're already posted here.

Can anyone advise please...

V1B should have it's filament elevated to B+/4
If it's a stereo amp then V1B should be shared with the other channel and
it's filament (only) could be raised, the other cathodes would be
close to ground anyway, thus the filament should have a ground reference,
a "hum-dinger" might be the best way.

I also agree that a chokewould be a much better way to smoothen the B+

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up about Triad... I can get in UK at £20.15 plus 20%VAT but there's a shipping cost from US of £15 on top....

The narrative says it's made in China (...Triad... lol) so maybe Alibaba is a good place to try...

150 ohms resistance though...!
150 ohms is half of the resistor ( 300 ohm) it replaces. Go for it, but by all means
try to find one in UK first!

Or, try tubetown.de :
https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/T...mond-15x-Series/Hammond-Choke-159R::7101.html
6H 200mA 18 euros including VAT excl shipping from germany

Last edited:
@Petertub - so simply replace R2 = 330R with the choke? I'd like to keep the amp as dynamic as possible so with 200mA rated choke I am restricting the rating of the T'former...

No choke for the -83v supply?

Please, all comments are appreciated - things appear contrary sometimes.

Anyone care to comment on the original design with no choke whatsoever?

You want low DCR in the power supply, replacing the 330R with a 150R choke makes it more dynamic because of the lower DCR.

You aren't restricting the power transformer using a choke rated at 200mA, the 250mA rating is a maximum rating. The choke rating means that they guarantee 6H of inductance at 200mA. Go over the current and the core saturates lowering the inductance.

You will have to calculate the exact quiescent current draw for the amp but it's probably ~150mA which is less than both choke and Transformer max current draw.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> No choke for the -83v supply?

No.

Bias supply ripple nearly cancels in push-pull.

Bias ripple here is further reduced by the 100K+0.22uFd grid networks.

It is very low current (7mA).

You are starting with well-excess voltage. You can afford to lose some in an R-C filter.

At this power level, a "large" cap is not a budget breaker.

And this plan features a full-wave bridge.

In The Old Days, we used half-wave bias rectifier and smaller caps, got fine sound.

Folks - thanks for the replies, I feel like I'm making some headroom now....

I'm gathering the parts together, so have purchased a bundle of 1W and 2W metal film +/-1% resistors from EBay plus I've scored some .22uF polypropylene 5% 630v non-inductive axial capacitors from the same place at an excellent price.

The rectifier diodes are probably way over the top but the cost was good and they are fast recovery at 48nS. I can experiment here, especially for the Bias supply.

For experimentation I've managed to get hold of NOS 6N8S/6SN7 and cheap-ish KT88. When I'm happy with the results maybe I'll try some PSVANE UK-6SN7 and KT88 :)

I have an idea to monitor key voltage and current values using an Arduino or Raspberry Pi and sensors, then connect to my wi-fi to enable remote monitoring. But I get ahead of myself... best build it first!!

That's a nice simple proven circuit and should sound good.

I personally like the way Heathkit split the driver and input tube supplies from the main supply instead of daisy chaining all of them.

But then I'm a W-5M fan as I have 4 of them.
Although mine use 6SN7, 5687 and 6B4G's.

Ron

Thanks for the heads-up about Triad... I can get in UK at £20.15 plus 20%VAT but there's a shipping cost from US of £15 on top....

The narrative says it's made in China (...Triad... lol) so maybe Alibaba is a good place to try...

150 ohms resistance though...!

I am also busy building a valve amp (Mullard 5-20 variant).
Also look here, UK site, good products.

BluebellAudio

Where is Dom Audio, I do not find a website?

Last edited:
@Petertub - so simply replace R2 = 330R with the choke? I'd like to keep the amp as dynamic as possible so with 200mA rated choke I am restricting the rating of the T'former...

No choke for the -83v supply?

Please, all comments are appreciated - things appear contrary sometimes.

Anyone care to comment on the original design with no choke whatsoever?
Yes, replace 330ohm with a choke.
Leaving out a choke saves money and weight, but needs a lot more capacitor to
get decent level of hum. Include a choke and you can use less caps for same
level of hum.
Bias circuit normally draws so little power that one or two small caps will
filter out all remaining hum.

@Petertub... thanks for your comments. Looking at the power supply circuit I have uploaded, if I were to include a choke as recommended what value of electrolytic would you suggest for C3 and C4? Would C1 and C2 remain the same?

560uF electrolytics at around 400v can be pretty expensive from my searches!

@Petertub... thanks for your comments. Looking at the power supply circuit I have uploaded, if I were to include a choke as recommended what value of electrolytic would you suggest for C3 and C4? Would C1 and C2 remain the same?

560uF electrolytics at around 400v can be pretty expensive from my searches!
I would try 50 - 100 uF in both places, and you don't need serial connections
as 500V is available ( JJ makes them for instanse, tubetown.de:
https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/Capacitors/JJ-Electronics/JJ-Cap-axial:::31_36_170.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.