• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

O3s tube HP amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone seen one of these? Tube compliment is 2 x 2p3. Also includes a 2xIRF610, 7812 and 2xLM317. It's taken quite a bit of work to quieten it, but the tubes are still hugely microphonic, emitting a high freq. whine whenever there is the slightest disturbance.

Just these Chinese tubes?

Cheers, Rex

Attachments

• IMG_20170202_102653.jpg
    IMG_20170202_102653.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20170202_102700.jpg
    IMG_20170202_102700.jpg
    936 KB · Views: 112
These are battery operated, directly heated tubes? These are prone of being microphonic, due to their thin, long, and thus vibrating cathodes. Not even those snake oiled silicone rings around them can prevent the cathodes from vibrating.
/
A huge design flaw, if you'd ask me.

Best regards!

Anyone seen one of these? Tube compliment is 2 x 2p3. Also includes a 2xIRF610, 7812 and 2xLM317. It's taken quite a bit of work to quieten it, but the tubes are still hugely microphonic, emitting a high freq. whine whenever there is the slightest disturbance.

Just these Chinese tubes?

Cheers, Rex

Not knowing the 2P3 , it may be to do with the horizontal mounting , but I'm not able to locate a manufacturer's datasheet . Obvious things to check are the filament voltage , you could always try backing off the volts a little to see if that helps

316a

These are battery operated, directly heated tubes? These are prone of being microphonic, due to their thin, long, and thus vibrating cathodes. Not even those snake oiled silicone rings around them can prevent the cathodes from vibrating.
/
A huge design flaw, if you'd ask me.

Best regards!

Yup, direct heated pentode. Low voltage (6.5v on the plate here).

I was wondering if a philips DL93 might be better, but i guess not.

Cheers, Rex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.