• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Brook 12A Q

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building this amp and have a few queries. Does the rectifier see the full 80f (40 plus 40) or is the value altered because the first cap isn't directly to ground?

Would you recommend a choke in the power supply? I was thinking where the 10k resistor is. Thank-you.

Brook-12A-2A3-PP-ed.png

Thank-you. Yes the bias supply is fubar, cap should be shunt. I still don't understand how the power supply is CRC if the 700R resistor is below the cap to ground. Doesn't CRC refer to cap, series resistor, cap?

I've only been able to find 2 schematics, rather difficult to find (or afford) an original amplifier. I'm not sure if any of the clones would be correct, not that I know of any anyhow.

A choke between the first 2 PsU caps is always recommended, for a lot of reasons.
In this case, it replaces the 2K resistor. Voltage output will be a little higher, so you have to account for that in biasing etc. But do not keep both the choke and the resistor, we do not want a high impedance Power Supply.

Here's the circuit redrawn easier to look at.
I built this amp but made some changes in the front end.
The low capacitance had some LF attenuation.

Also here is a youtube video of a Brook 12A circuit modified to run a quad of 300B triodes.
My friend David Beard made the video. YouTube

Attachments

• Brook12-A - Copy.png
    Brook12-A - Copy.png
    235.2 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
What did you use for the plate choke for the driver stage?

I used a UTC MQM-300 choke 300HY @ 3700 ohms. Got it off Ebay. Also I have the LT Spice for this. Send me your email I can forward you a copy. Assuming you have Spice on your computer?

I have not tried these but these grid chokes may be an option. http://bit.ly/2HdLsLD

Also I know for a fact that Heyboer has made the Brook 12-A choke clone before. They run around 3600 to 3700 ohms.

Attachments

• Mqm300.jpg
    Mqm300.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 168
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.