• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hammond interstage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I am driving 2A3 with D3a (as triode) RC coupled and the result is good
I bought a pair of hammond interstage transformers 126B to try difference than RC coupling
I try them with EC8010 triode and have bad sound! Something like losing frequensies...
Did I make something wrong?
Should I try them with different tube?

Hammond Mfg. - Audio - Tube Driver Transformer - (124 - 126 Series)

Last edited:
OK - I have some experience here:

1. Swap the secondary leads. The treble should come back again. It needs to be wired up right.

2. Try it out as a plate choke, with teflon FT-3 coupling caps. I use 0.1uF followed by 100K grid leak.

I prefer it as a plate choke where it's a great choice. You shouldn't have any treble issues there.

Last edited:
OK - I have some experience here:

1. Swap the secondary leads. The treble should come back again. It needs to be wired up right.

2. Try it out as a plate choke, with teflon FT-3 coupling caps. I use 0.1uF followed by 100K grid leak.

I prefer it as a plate choke where it's a great choice. You shouldn't have any treble issues there.

Thanks Andy
I'll try tomorrow and tell you the result

Thanks Andy
I'll try tomorrow and tell you the result

One or the other should work. Plate choke should definitely solve the problem and the teflon FT-3 caps are by a long way the best I've tried. The 4P1L in filament bias is perfect with the 126B. Run it at around 25mA. Has a gain of 9 or 10. That's what I use. Long thread for "4P1L Line Stage". Should be in filament bias with Rod Coleman regs. I attach a schematic to give you the idea. As you can see I use PSE 4P1L instead of 2a3 so that with a gain of 9 or 10 I only need 2 stages. Can't do that with the 2a3. Sounds just as good or better to my ears.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-15 at 14.46.55.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-15 at 14.46.55.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 472
The whole idea is to use DHTs. That's where the Rod Coleman regs come in. But the added bonus of filament bias is that the cathode resistor is small - typically 30 ohms or less. So no need for cathode bypass caps. That's one source of degradation out of the way. You do need a very clean filament supply since it also goes through the cathode resistor, so it's in the signal path. But Rod's regs with a good DC supply - preferably with a choke in it - gives a very clean supply. This arrangement was proposed by Thomas Mayer (vinylsavor) and has become popular in the last few years with 26, 01A and 4P1L tubes for which it's a perfect solution. Ale Moglia writes extensively on all this on his bartola valves website. Thomas has a series of very interesting blogs on his site too.

Today I swap the secondary leads and the sound become normal
I also use the primary only as plate choke and capacitor coupling and I think Is better
I'll buy also some teflon capacitors to try
Thanks a lot Andy!

Does any have experience with EC8010 operation values?
I think datasheet isn't correct.. Ra=2.4K?? Rk=47 ohm??

Today I swap the secondary leads and the sound become normal.

I also use the primary only as plate choke and capacitor coupling and I think Is better. I'll buy also some teflon capacitors to try. Thanks a lot Andy!

You're welcome! I went through this exact situation myself, so that's how I learned.

The Russian FT-3 are a tiny bit better than the K72 teflons. There is also a FT-2 rated for 200v which is good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.