• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

first time foreplay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please bear with a total home audio tube newbie. (Not to tube guitar amps, though.) Other beginners have had the bottlehead foreplay recommended. Look's fairly easily buildable and affordable. My neophyte question: I buy and assemble the foreplay -- then what? I just don't understand whether I need a seperate power amp (if so, there goes "affordable"), or is there some way to connect the tube preamp to a solid-state receiver?
Thanks for bearing w/ a newbie.

http://gabevee.tripod.com has a 15 watt 2 channel amplifier with or without a preamp. You can also build an amp and wire in a volume and balance knob without changing the circuit one bit. You simply wire from the input jack through the knobs and into the circuit where the input normally goes, it's that simple. This is called a passive preamp, or minimalist preamp whichever camp you wish to pitch your tent in. Gave is a friendly and very helpful fellow as well. Good luck:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.