• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Triode mode Pentode G2 resistor?

I have been using a pair of RCA 6L6GB's with the screen tied directly to the plate. I have recently seen some schematics where there is a 100 ohm resistor in between. One of these models I saw was using a switch to change between UL mode and Triode mode.

So my question is who has used a low value resistor between the plate and screen for triode mode and why?

I do not see anything about this resistor in the datasheets, RCA states G2 connected to plate for triode mode which is what I have done.

-bird

So my question is who has used a low value resistor between the plate and screen for triode mode and why?

Screen stopper. 6L6-oids have a tendency to make snivets when operated in Class AB where one 6L6-oid cuts off completely. That can cause a burst of oscillation of ~100KHz (depending on the OPT self resonance). For pseudotriode operation, ~100R will do nicely. 470R -- 1500R is useful when running as full pentodes.

I use 100 ohm for 6L6GC and KT88. It prevents bursts of oscillation that sometimes happens when the amp is driven to clipping. Larger values can reduce power output slightly.

The EL34 wants a higher value in some cases. Original Mullard literature calls for 1000 ohms to produce the lowest distortion. I have found that 470 ohms is the best compromise on a wide selection of budget priced new production and used old tubes. If the amp will gee a lot of clipping, like a guitar amp, it should be a 2 watt resistor.