• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube amps on E-Bay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's a very good point - that it needs a really good designer to manage a better quality amp project and see it through to a build or even a kit. Much better parts - and the Chinese can and do make amorphous core transformers at cheaper prices for instance. Point to point and not PCBs. And none of the ridiculous chassis designs with turrets, meters and blue lights. A really high class aluminium chassis, anodised for instance. Again not at all difficult in China. Someone with knowledge and design skills could create a classic for under $1,000. It could be sold as a kit and/or assembled, like the classic Dynakits. Something as simple as a 2 stage 300b SE would be a start, as long as the driver tube was something really good and not just a 12AX7 or a 6SL7. And loaded with an amorphous core plate choke. All achievable.

For me the issue is the output transformers. You don't know what you are getting and good transformers are the most expensive part. I'd try just a tube preamp kit. No output transformers and cheap on eBay. My Little Bear 6J1 tube preamp for $30 sounds marvelous into a SS amp.

Many times I have noticed guys calling for tube amp kits, this morning I noticed a plethora of them that have crept up on E-Bay.

This is just one, a 2 x 13W EL34 kit, the same company produces several different types, all reasonably priced.

Error page | eBay

Its amazing how the Chinese can design, build and market an amp for less than the price I can buy a valve for in the UK.
Impossible to compete with them at the cheap end.

Last edited:
Answering my own question here - looks like the Laochen amps are point to point - handy for mods. Here's a view underneath the 300b amp. It's rather a small chassis, however, so hard to put more stuff in it.

Attachments

• 300B amp Laochen under1.jpg
    300B amp Laochen under1.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 198
Thats a mix of PCB and free wiring components.
For that price, I assume the output trannies are not first class. What you get is a more or less playable amp with mediocre sound. I don't know if thats worth spending $500.
Check the components for their voltage, often they are used beyound the voltage ratings or near by.
Maybe spend some more money on chinese 300B amps and get a better unit. Makes sense if you receive better OPT for that money.
Otherwise- why not? Looks not too bad this amp.

Last edited:
Laochen or Oldchen have some useful looking chassis which could be donors for mods. Good way to build an amp by changing parts if you want to avoid metalwork.

Tell me, was it a PCB inside or point to point wiring?

OldChen 300B Tube Amplifier HIFI Single-ended Class A Handmade Scaffolding Amp : China-hifi-Audio online store, Yaqin,Meixing Mingda,XiangSheng,Line Magnetic Tube Amplifier, power amp, preamp,hi-fi CD Player high end audio for sale [MUIA9832205] - $473.60 USD

Yes, the chassis is nice to work upon. I bough from a french seller, who has knowledge in tube amp and in particular as lampizator DACs and CD players. The wiring are point-to-point. What do you think about sonics of 274b Shuguang, is a good chinese tube?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.