• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Choosing OP of small signal tubes with CCS in the cathode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone point me to some relevant reading on choosing operating points when applying CCS's to small signal tubes?

I know how to read a curve chart and choose an OP based on B+, plate resistor, grid bias, etc, but I'm not sure how to go about this with a CCS. Is it as easy as figuring the current draw through the CCS, the grid bias, and letting it operate right at B+? Do I still need some resistive loading on the plate?

Backstory: have 100V B+ and was thinking about how to maximize the voltage

Last edited:
Choosing the operating point for a small signal stage with a CCS in the cathode is exactly the same as for a normal stage. You still put a load line based on anode load and supply rail voltage. The only difference is that you don't have to calculate a cathode resistor, just designa a CCS to give the required quiescent current - it sets the effective grid voltage to match the particular valve sample. Whether a bypassed CCS is better or worse than using a bypassed resistor is a moot point - a resistor is certainly cheaper and more reliable.

With limited supply voltage you can maximise the anode voltage by using a good anode load CCS, not a cathode CCS.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I read somewhere that depending on the cathode voltage you need to add a small B- supply? How does this work? I have a design idea but the bias voltage is 1.5V but I know that it needs at least 1.25V across it to function. Would I add a small resistor to the tail and connect it to a -5V supply?

kodabmx said:
Ballpencil seemed to have no problem understanding my prose, and he's from Indonesia.
We had a lecturer who was Russian, who spoke poor English with a heavy accent. Native English speakers struggled to understand him. Chinese students said they could understand him more easily than the native-English-speaking lecturers.

On another occasion, I heard an engineering lecturer in a lesser university ask a class what was the most general form of the sine function. I was puzzled; the answer was obviously 'sin z', where z can be almost anything (real, complex, a matrix etc.) but that would probably have gone over their heads. It turned out that what he was looking for was 'A sin (2 pi f t + phase)', which to me as a physicist was a very particular form of the sine function but I suppose to them it was the most general one they had seen.

For the record "it" in this context meant "CCS" and "tail" meant the cathode.
At this point you had not mentioned a CCS, so 'it' could not have been referring to it; I can't see the context inside your head.
'Tail' never means cathode; it means (in certain circuits only) whatever is connected to the cathode.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.