• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is the 6E6P suitable for audio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It says in the datasheet that the gridcurrent is 10mA,but if I triod connect it (with a 100 ohms resitor to the anode)will it still need 10 mA?

It says grid-2 (!) current is 10mA @ 150v on both plate & grid-2 @ 44mA plate current.
If you run it at 20mA plate, g2 current is possibly less than half, maybe less than 5mA.

On the 6ee6p be shure you strictly follow the note on pin 8, which is the shield, found only on the russian only data-sheet:

"Проводящий слой внутренней поверхности баллона (Вывод 8) должен иметь отрицательный потенциал относительно катода. Обрыв цепи Вывод 8, а также приложение положительного относительно катода потенциала к проводящему слою приводят к выходу лампы из строя."

"The conductive layer (=shield) inside the tube (Pin 8) should have a slight negative potential in relation to the cathode. If Pin 8 is left open, or a positive potential in relation to the cathode is applied, it can cause a tube failure."

Anyone tried the 6E6P in triode mode to drive a SE300B biased to say 3.5V ?

I used to upgrade the industrial NEM A300SE amplifier, by replacing 6J43P with 6e6p-dru in triode. Instead of the bias by battery in the grid, I selected two zeners for 3,5V at 30mA for cathode bias, and added some shunting to plate power rail capacitor. Effect is very positive and easy listenable. 6e6p tube is very good sounding tube.

hi Andy,

yes, i use 6e6p without beads for years. i think i've had one, that needed a good warm-up (around 10min) to get rid of a hi-freq whistling (not very loud) but i've never felt a need for beads in my application. i tried to switch for e180f, the sound was no big relevation plus the bias was off without mods, so i went back to 6e6p.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
6E5P triode wired sounds excellent as the input/driver tube in my Midlife Crisis 833C amp. Clean, clear, and crisp but not at all harsh <snip>

Note: I triode strap it using a UF4007 diode and 200R resistor. I added the diode after reading about it on the net...no one has given an airtight reason why it works but it did sound better to my ears with the diode, so it stays.

Could someone (Magz?) clarify how the UF4007 diode and 200R resistor are wired/used on the 6E5P?

IMO, if 6e5p plate voltage is expected to be stable within 5%, good solution is with a zener at cathode. Zeners with 3-7V operation voltages are least noisy. Dynamic resistance of Zener is around order of magnitude less that 200R, and output impedance of stage is better than with unshunted resistor at cathode.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.