• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Luxman Active 3-way Tube Crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
I understand that Luxman produced an active 3-way tube crossover many years ago that was the "Bees Knees" in flexibility. Model Luxman A-2003.
The owner's manual apparently includes schematics etc, as it was also available in kit form.
Does anyone know of, or can sell me a copy of the manual, so I may build one from scratch?
Thanks in advance.

3 way 8 Tube LUXMAN ACTIVE CROSSOVER

Hi All,
I understand that Luxman produced an active 3-way tube crossover many years ago that was the "Bees Knees" in flexibility. Model Luxman A-2003.
The owner's manual apparently includes schematics etc, as it was also available in kit form.
Does anyone know of, or can sell me a copy of the manual, so I may build one from scratch?
Thanks in advance.
Dear Friend,
Have spoken to a X Luxman Technician and Also Dynaco +Harmon Kardon Technician. who stated that he may have a copy of the in storage amongst things , And he will try to locate it and will not Sell The Original Manuel but will attempt to do a Copy for me For a FEE of 35 USD and Will charge me an additional $: 12 for registering and Postage cost, I also told him That You are Looking for a COPY as well , he said that it will take him at least 2 to three weeks to go through his Files that's stored away at a friends Work Place who aslo worked with him With The Luxman Tube Power Amps. Once he finds it he will Send me a a Invoice for The 2 Sets.
And once I receive it I will keep in contact with you that's if you Still need a Copy.
I too am looking forward to Build this 3 Way 8X 12AU Tube 3 way Active which I believe is a Work of Hi Fi ( I know of a Another person Who has got one in (COLOMBO CEYLON ) Now Called SRILANKA, as I have heard it While I was on Holidays in SRILANKA in 2004, He said that he Bought The Kit from LUXMAN in Japan in 1974 , and got a Friend Technician to put it to gether, and He is using it on His KLIPSCHORN CORNER HORN Speakers and got the Crossover Frequencies to work at 12 Db per Octave @450 Hz for his Bottom end and 450Hz to 4,500 Khz FFor His Midrange Horns , and His Tweeter Takes over from 4,500 to infinity to around 18,000Khz. And he has 3 Power Amps:
1 Amp Sold State Amcron Power Line 3 With 2X 60,000 MF Caps gives out 70 Class A Watts per Side, The second AMP he uses is a All Tube DYNACO St 70 for his Midrange Horns, And The 3 AMP ifor His Tweeters He uses a All Tube ENGLISH 15 Watts per Channel LEAK Amp, I heard his Set up and Believe that It sounds Great,

I too Got a Very good set of Speakers.
and Wrote to Mr: BOB CRITES in USA, and he has helped me with the Design of My Cabinets My Bass Woofer is from The KLIPSCH LASCALA K33,
My Midrange Horn Driver is From The Very Famous JBL PARAGON And The Horn Flares is The JBL 2386B Flares, My Tweeters are The JBL 2402 SUPER BULLETs.
My Cabinets are under Construction at this stage and will be ready in about 3 to 4 monts.
Bob Crites advised me To have The Active Crossover set at around 12 DB per Octave , and suggest to go for 600Hz Low Pass And From 600Hz to 6000 Khz For the Midrange Horns and from 6000Kz to Infinity on The JBL super Bullet Tweeters, which can work down to 3500Kz and up to 24,000Khz.
I got 2 Power amps at this moment, 1 Is The SOLID State AMCRON POWER LINE 3 at 70 Watts per Channel in Class A at 8 ohms and 140 Watts Per Channel in Class A at 4 Ohms. He suggest good amp and that my LASCALA BASS WOOFERS runs in 4 Ohms. My second AMP is a Very POPULAR CARY SIXPAC Mono Block with 6X EH FAT BOTTLE POWERTUBES 6CA7, and 1 of EL84 CURRENT SOURCE Tube and 1 X 12 AX7 Driver Tube Total 8 Tubes on Each Mono Block AMP.
My 3 Amp is under construction for My Tweeters, which will have 2X EL34 FAT Bottle Tubes and 1 X EL84 Current Source Tube and 1 X ECC83 DRIVER tube on it. i expecting that this amp will give me around 8 Watts Per Channel , and is more than enough to drive my Tweeters.
I can see that you too love great sound , and when My Technical Man finds The Circuit that I too will be looking forward to have my 3 WAY ACTIVE Lux A2003 Crossover Built from Scratch, I have arranged for some one to build a Chassis for it Even without the circuit yet, The Chassis will be constructed with Solid 12 MM Thick FRONT BACK AND SIDES Black MARBLE. The Top of The Chassis will have a 2 mm Thick Silver Plated Or Gold Plated Copper. The Bottom Plate will be made out of 3 MM Thick Anodised AND Perferated Aluminium Plate.
my e mail is fsj@iprimus.com.au

this is so you can be in touch
Kind Regard's
Francis Jansz
Melbourne
AUSTRALIA:film::cheers::cheers:

My NAME IS : Francis SERVATIUS JANSZ, My Technician Name is Mr: peter GAY,

Once Peter and his X Working Engineer BRUCE has completed the ALL in One PCB Board Then he Intends TO DESIGN THe Chassis and get it built with a Material Named KORIEAN instead of USING ALUMINIUM or METAL, The Chassis FRONT The Sides and The BACK Plate Will be Constructed with KOREIAN WHICH LOOKS SIMILIER TO BLACK MARBLE, The TOP Plate and The Bottom Plates will be MADE OUT OF 2 to 2.5 mm Of Aluminium Plate, The 8X 12AU Tubes Will be MOUNTED on The TOP Plate of Aluminium , The Transformer will be Mounted inside The Chassis and Shielded Seperately with KOREIAN.
I believe This 3 Way 8X 12AU7 Exposed Tubes will Look Great. next to the CARY SIXPAC Power MONO BLOCK AMPS.
My technician states that he prefers Mounting The Tubes on TOP because it will have lots of AIR Around it.

Hi All,
I understand that Luxman produced an active 3-way tube crossover many years ago that was the "Bees Knees" in flexibility.

I'd buy Luxman just for the feel of the knobs.

Why are you interested in this unit? Tubes? Flexibility? Knees?

I've been multi-amped for 48 years. Never ever again thought about using low level crossovers (or is it high level?) and their numerous shortcomings. Esp now a days with woofers and subs with low freq crossovers. Today, with a digital box like Behringer DCX2496 (and a mic for testing) you can do tricks that seem absolutely magical.

I use electrostatic speakers and nobody can tell me their speakers can help them detect digital system shortcomings that my speakers can't highlight... and I don't hear problems arising from adding a step of digital processing into my reproduction chain.

Ben

Last edited:
Dear Mr Lewis.
I have not seen electro static spearkers for around 20 years. I believe that they are great sounding speakers . But unfornately they may be a gew lying around here in australia. And its owners will not part with them. In reference to the 3 way tube Lux crossover. I believe that it is one of the best crossover units built. And i am waiting patiently till my technician finished the project. To try it out. My techician is very keen in getting all the parts to ginish this project and will try it it out on his JBL Soverign cabinets to test all its Functions out. He is using a Musical fidelity tube pre amp and a Musical fiďelity tube DAC Converter. With a ah njoe Tube output CD Player. And he has got 2 Dynaco tube st 70 power amps with new caps and new mullard el34 tubes on them kind rgds
Francis jansz

My friend has finally got the p c b completed for the e way 8 X 12 AU 7 the pcb are completed it done in 2 mm boards with 2.5 oz copper tracings there will be 3 pcb boards and 3 power supply boards for sale very shortly. On the Luxman 2003 3 way active crossover the asking price $100 per board includes the power supply board

Status
Not open for further replies.