• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

lower the gain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

i have build this preamp, is there a way to lower the gain
see schematic.

mow the gain is mutch to high

pre.GIF

Reduce the 100k resistor at the input. This preamp seems to operate by having lots of gain which is then reduced first by negative feedback to around 12 and then by adding an attenuator at the beginning to reduce it to around 8. This is still far too much gain for most systems, which generally need no extra gain at all.

You could reduce gain by adding more feedback but this could bring stability problems. Better to go with the flow and just add more attenuation.

Alternatively, just omit the preamp from your system.

You have not indicated the B+ voltage. If the preamp has enough headroom on the output, you might add a little attenuation to the output. As DF96 indicated, with further attenuation you will be getting quite close to unity gain. Your best solution might be to eliminate the preamp completely.

if i play at 9. th sound is to load

hereby the specification of the amp

Power Output: 200 watts @ 8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, <0.05% THD; 300 watts @ 4 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, <0.05%
THD Signal to Noise: 112 dB "A" weighted
Input Impedance: >10K Ohms
(RCA=16K Ohms, XLR=30K Ohms)
Gain: +27dB (1.7V sensitivity) for full output

if i lower the 100K resistor to 47K that mean?

I will check the voltage

Assuming CD with the standard 2V output, and a modern disc with most of the music near the limit you could be getting 500mV as a typical output.

Starting from the other end, most people run their system at surprisingly (to them!) low power outputs - unless they have a huge room or very inefficient speakers. Let's guess 20dB down, so that there is some room for peaks (not that the CD will deliver peaks). That is 170mV, so all you need is a volume control.

Alternatively, just note that 2V is greater than 1.7V so no more gain is needed. So either way of looking at it tells us that all the gain provided by the preamp must be thrown away in attenuation; if not in the volume control then elsewhere.

Assuming CD with the standard 2V output, and a modern disc with most of the music near the limit you could be getting 500mV as a typical output.

Starting from the other end, most people run their system at surprisingly (to them!) low power outputs - unless they have a huge room or very inefficient speakers. Let's guess 20dB down, so that there is some room for peaks (not that the CD will deliver peaks). That is 170mV, so all you need is a volume control.

Alternatively, just note that 2V is greater than 1.7V so no more gain is needed. So either way of looking at it tells us that all the gain provided by the preamp must be thrown away in attenuation; if not in the volume control then elsewhere.

If i use Rothwell Attenuators of -10Db at in input the gain is much better
but still to much for my amps

salam olahraga

first of all, what's your source? a cd player should output more than enough voltage to be fed directly to your amplifier (which means that you don't need any preamp, sell it in kaskus or something).

your amplifier needs only 1.7 Vpp for full output power. a typical CD player will output 2 Vrms, which is about 2.84 Vpp, so it's more than enough to feed directly to your amplifier.

here's my suggestion drawn on your schematic:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

EDIT: don't follow this suggestion!

Last edited:
You can lower the 24k3 feedback resistor (and increase the capacitor proportionately) to reduce the gain. You'll want to confirm stability, easily done with square waves, and add a compensation cap internally (e.g., across the 249k plate resistor) or across the feedback resistor if you see oscillation or ringing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.