• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DIY M60 OTL Power Amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This thread will be about my DIY version of the Atma-Sphere M60 MK3.1 OTL Music Amplifiers original designed by Ralph Karsten.

I ended up with this chassis design:
DIY%2520M60%2520OTL.png

I redesigned the high voltage PSU for the signal tubes as I wanted polypropylene caps after the chokes. I use the mini e-chokes MEC50 from Tentlabs as I had great success using them in other projects.

PCB for the high voltage PSU for the signal tubes ended up to look like this:
PCB_OTL_forside.jpg

and with most of the parts mounted:
IMG_2781.JPG

As I wanted potted toroidal transformers for my amps I designed a round PCB for the capacitance for the circlotron output stages which will be placed under the center transformer cover:
PCB_circtron_side1.jpg

The parts for the chassis is custom made to my specs by HiFi2000 in Italy, here the top panel:
IMG_2779.JPG

and part of the front panel housing a Yamamoto Vu Meter:
IMG_2769.JPG

More pictures to come along the building process.

Last edited:
Well done. I like the Mundorf 4 pole Elytic combo with Mundorf Tube cap you implemented. Very clean, better than the OEM's version I bet!

Best,
Anand.
These plays great but whether they are better or worse than the original M60 I can't tell as I don't have access to the orignal M60s...

But I wanted polypropylene capacitors after the chokes and the e chokes ensure absolutely silence from these amps. Zero hum, zero noise. My speakers are 102dB/1W. :)

I implemented electronic e chokes in both the positive and the negative supply for the signal tubes. If the e choke in the negative supply dies the 6AS7s and my speaker will melt down... risky business! Or one can use a resistor instead of a choke in the negative supply.

I really recommend everyone to build the exact circuit designed by Ralph. It's safe(!) and properly also better than my version...!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.