• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Groovewatt-Valve RIAA Phono Preamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Considering building this preamp for a Pioneer PL-71 that I have just dusted off... bought for a really low price.

Has anyone here built the groovewatt preamp? How does it sound?
I have searched here a bit for the groovewatt, but did not see much, perhaps it was my search keywords selection. IDK

I have an AT-95 cart on its way since the ADC unit on my PL-71 was missing the stylus anyway.

This is the first decent TT I have acquired...
I will be building a few tube preamps starting with the Groovewatt design, and then explore other options.

My goal later this winter is to build a phono pre-amp using the 3a5's into a 71a power amp driven by the 112a. These are for now... just ideas floating around.

Have a desire for perfecting an all DHT set up, but until then exploring other circuits of IDHT designs.

Phono preamps are new to me so this is a new journey. :)

Thank you.. and have a great day!

Michael

Groovewatt RIAA

I did a version of it and it sounds great.

Attachments

• pcb4.jpg
    pcb4.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 753
  • riaa-pcb11.jpg
    riaa-pcb11.jpg
    807.5 KB · Views: 755
  • pcb001.jpg
    pcb001.jpg
    937 KB · Views: 703

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The PL-71 is a very nice table. It's motor is fantastic , the arm is wonderful and the rest is quite nice.

You will probably need to re-cap the 'table near the speed pots and such. Pull the old ones and replace with fresh.

Also play around with mats and feet. They make a marked difference on the '70s tables. At the very minimum try some vibrapods.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Replace the 35yr old electrolytics and you won't have to worry about them for the rest of your life.

Then start playing around with the mat and feet. I like the Funk Firm Acromat, but there are lots of others out there. Herbies, etc... As for feet, like I mentioned, vibrabods, sorbathane, it all makes a fantastic difference on a solid table.

And also look into wall racks - they are simply amazing... you will not believe how much clearer things get when the table is properly suspended/isolated.

The PL-71 is a very nice table. It's motor is fantastic , the arm is wonderful and the rest is quite nice.

You will probably need to re-cap the 'table near the speed pots and such. Pull the old ones and replace with fresh.

Also play around with mats and feet. They make a marked difference on the '70s tables. At the very minimum try some vibrapods.

This is an old thread but......

Keep in mid that I do not subscribe to audio fads and gadgets but.........

I just got some #2 "Vibrapods for my Poineer 112D

I created the "sandwich" using a half inch bamboo cutting board (about the same size as the plinth) which is supported by the Vibrapods. I got lucky and found just what I needed for about $7. It's rock solid and perfectly flat.

The TT is on the cutting board supported by cones (with bases). I originally got the adjustable cones mainly for leveling the TT (the floating (platter and tone arm assembly).

Now... the floor in my ground floor apartment is a concrete slab under the carpet so, floor vibrations are not a problem .
However, my audio rack is not he most stable and the (glass) shelves are prone to slight vibrations at times.

So yes the vibrapads did make a bit of an improvement.. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.