• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N1P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Broskie, who originally drew the circuit in the diagram, puts the same resistor values in the concertina as in the anode of the gain stage. This is done so that the currents through each stage are equal and opposite, resulting in a constant current draw. This should reduce the distortion. A downside is that there is less current available to drive the final stage tubes. Not usually a problem with EL 84 type tubes, but for some others it could be an issue.

In this circuit, the operating point of the concertina is set by the voltage divider made up of the two 1Meg resistors. Assuming that the anode of the gain stage is at B+/2, then it should be at B+/4, give or take a few volts. Since tubes are never at exactly their datasheet values, there will be some variance. Also, since there will be only about 12v needed to drive the finals, the setpoint of the concertina technically only needs to be 15 volts less than B+/2, or about 110v for 250v B+. I wouldn't do this personally, since tubes change with age and the setpoint could drift. I would aim for between 70 and 100 volts DC at the grid of the concertina tube. It should be in that range using the values in the circuit, but can be adjusted by varying the ratio of the resistor divider between stages.

Normal audio output tubes do not require current to be driven. The main current goes to grid resistors. Assuming we have EL84, the grid resistor is 1M and reguired drive voltage, say 12 Vpeak. Anybody can calculate the "current" needed.

There are commercial amplifiers where a 12AX7 LTP drives 4 x EL34 output stage with no lack of current.

The purpose of my comment was to draw attention that vacuum tubes are usually "driven" by voltage, not current (A2 and AB2 classes make the exception). Many DIYers seem not to know this at all.

I agree that 12AX7 is not good tube to drive any triode connected output tubes, but that is an other discussion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.