• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Relative Humidity Attenuating HF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Had my MC275 set up just the way I liked it yesterday in the cool afternoon. Today just before a storm was due to pass through the humidity was much higher than yesterday, and I noticed a discernibly less pronounced sound from my tweeters. It sure seems the humidity has affected the HF in the air, much less than lower frequencies as we all know suffer less loss due to molecular vibration ect....

Am I right in assuming this? has anyone else noticed this with their system? I posted it in Valves/tubes forum as the amp is tube based....

Discussions? / comments?:D

I suppose my hearing is akin to taking an arrow to the knee when bad weather is around. However I'm sure there is some correlation, much the same way sound travels through solid objects differently than air, and not at all in a vacuum.

It sure seems the humidity has affected the HF in the air, much less than lower frequencies as we all know suffer less loss due to molecular vibration ect....

Humidity does affect HF, but that doesn't begin until you're up around 900MHz or so.

Am I right in assuming this? has anyone else noticed this with their system? I posted it in Valves/tubes forum as the amp is tube based....

Discussions? / comments?:D

Paper speaker cones? These are audibly affected by humidity.

Its possible also that your speakers are so perfectly sealed that a pressure system coming in could affect its volume and not be fast enough to adjust to a pressure change such as a thunderstorm.

By pushing against the cones.

It might not be your ears at all, it could be your speakers. What kind of speakers do you have? It wouldn't affect a ported setup, lol.

You might want to add a stylish brass pressure screw valve to them so that you can adjust for this whenever it occurs.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Green-Pl...ial_Industrial_Supply_MRO&hash=item4d06797ea1

Last edited:
... what is the connection between this thread and tubes?

Wondering,
Andreas

EDIT: Just found the O/P's statement about that. With the same reasoning, it could have been posted in the PS forum, as the amp almost surely has a power supply. Or in the digital sources section as you probably used a digital source.

Last edited:
Or the ears section, of which there is none, the OP suspected it to be a problem with his amplifier, which it could still be.

For all I know there could be a faulty/cracked tube socket which is being affected by higher humidity.

There might even be a change with the specifications of the output transformers under high humidity, maybe they have an issue which is causing them to act like an air capacitor = affected by moisture. Though I suspect the OPT's in this amplifier are sealed/potted in epoxy, clarification? It is possible that they've been overheated/stressed and that has caused the epoxy to leak out, especially if its wax insulated, who knows! Though I doubt....

There could be moisture building up on the volume control, which would alter the conductivity between the knob axle and the chassis/thread portion of a pot.

Last edited:
Could be a higher pressure (caused by the incoming storm) atmosphere that is causing your discrepancy. = More pressure on your ear drums.

Could very well be. With higher humidity comes greater pressure. It could be physiological, I thought more medium related though.....
Generally, rain and thunder storms are preceded by lower atmospheric pressure (look at any traditional aneroid barometer). High pressure is generally associate with good weather. But in any case, the pressure swings are in mostly the region of + / - 2% relative to the norm. Unlikely in itself to make a noticeable difference to the audio.

Generally, rain and thunder storms are preceded by lower atmospheric pressure (look at any traditional aneroid barometer). High pressure is generally associate with good weather. But in any case, the pressure swings are in mostly the region of + / - 2% relative to the norm. Unlikely in itself to make a noticeable difference to the audio.

Yeah it was too late for me to go back and edit that by the time I realised.

OP: You wouldn't by any chance have any (supposed to be fully sealed) mica/ceramic capacitors installed in-circuit? does it happen on both channels at the same time?

I bet that if you have a couple of silver mica/ceramic capacitors with cracks in them that they would be affected by humidity.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=4906.0

Are you using a crossover in your speakers by any chance? Might want to check the capacitors or chokes for variances in performance under high humidity environments...

Last edited:
Well there sure is a good variety of info being thrown around, you sure have a flair for the dramatic Freax, the speakers are ported, the amp a relatively new MC275, good ceramic sockets, poly caps, potted outputs ect.... list goes on. Good morning, that's a nice tnetennba.

Relative Humidity, et al.

Our physical universe is affected by temperature, atmospheric pressure and humidity.
Amplifiers and their constituent parts are affected by these factors.
Speakers and their constituent parts are affected by these factors.
Connecting cables, wiring, etc., is affected by these factors.
The air around us is affected by these factors.
Our physical environment, i.e., room artifacts, is affected by these factors.
Our mood is affected by these factors.
And finally our mood has an effect on our perception of our environment.
So if you heard a difference then it is very likely that there was a difference.
fred p.

Thanks Fred, I was half way to believing that before I read it. ;) but yeah you certainly have some good points, I cannot help but assume that in the audio spectrum, certain things like connecting cables, tubes, audio sources are less affected than tweeters or our perception/mood changes.

freax said:
Could be a higher pressure (caused by the incoming storm) atmosphere that is causing your discrepancy. = More pressure on your ear drums.
Only if the OP's Eustachian tube's are blocked. Otherwise they will equalise the pressure. As others have pointed out, storms have lower pressure than normal.

ppfred said:
Our physical universe is affected by temperature, atmospheric pressure and humidity.
Amplifiers and their constituent parts are affected by these factors.
Speakers and their constituent parts are affected by these factors.
Connecting cables, wiring, etc., is affected by these factors.
The air around us is affected by these factors.
Some excessive extrapolation going on here? Audio kit (apart perhaps from speakers) should not be unduly affected by levels of temperature and humidity which humans can cope with. However, as you say, humans can be greatly affected by the environment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.