• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pot mechanical resistance and restoration..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Pot mechanical resistance "Feel" and restoration..

OK,

I asked this question in another thread, however I think it is quite important for restoration purposes in particular old tube equipment.

Pots have a mechanical resistance to the motion that gives a luxury "Feel"..

If you clean a pot with something like servisol 10 and the grease or whatever gets disolved...I guess I should add that Servisol 10 works very well and contains a track lubricant (Make sure the plastic in the pot is OK before using it, But I have had very good results) Its just that there is some "Mystic" compound that is put on the shaft that gives this luxury feel...and no one seems to know on the WEB what is used in the factorys to get this feel..

Does anyone know what to put back on the shaft of a pot to get the mechanical resistive feel back after a clean..I guess you could put it on the shaft on the outside of the pot and let it creep in.(capillary effect) It can only be some Kind of grease..it feels a bit like tar to the touch but dosen't set...:confused:

BTW WD40 makes pots worse... :)

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Try that copper coloured anti-seize compound.

I guess you have tried this then?
It would be interesting to know what they actually use..
Thinking about it the top is resistive when it comes of the tube..only concern might be if the compound is conductive?

Even the small cheap as chips types sometimes have it..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.