• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Does anybody know anything about this German console

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, this is Curt-

Can anybody tell me or give my any information on this late 50's late 60's German console. Owner says it does not work but I am mainly interested in the speaker and it is complete for $50.00. I am going to look at this next week. I am including a picture and at this point, I don't have any more information.

Thanks German  8f1d9f.jpg

Hi Dave, I wish I had more info. The seller has it in storage and he couldn't remember the make.All I have is the picture. I'm going to meet him tomorrow,Tuesday. I think for $50.00 I probably buy it if it is not sold. If it is,I'll just have to concentrate on my newly acquired 1960 Magnificent Magnavox console Thanks again Curt

Hi, this is Curt-

Can anybody tell me or give my any information on this late 50's late 60's German console. Owner says it does not work but I am mainly interested in the speaker and it is complete for $50.00. I am going to look at this next week. I am including a picture and at this point, I don't have any more information.

Thanks View attachment 262606

Hi Curt,
it seems to be a Grundig or Loewe Opta Console, Here in germany wie call them "Musiktruhe" "music chest".

Try Google and look for "Musiktruhe" in connetion with the major radio makers like Grundig, Blaupunkt, Loewe Opta, Philips, SABA, Telefunken, Schaub Lorenz, Siemens.

With a little patience you will find a picture of this radio set. Most of the german collectors pages are additional in english.

good luck!

regards
Wolfgang

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Good tip Wolfgang. I went thru the 1st 10 pages of images for both Grundig & LO, alot of Grundigs have the vertical slats theme, this one has the same layout but (from the small images) seems a bit fancier

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is the page the image was associated with, but can't find the pic on it
Dampfradioforum • Thema anzeigen - Suche Musiktruhe ( allgemein )

The pic showed up in both the Grundig & LO search.

dave

A minor note of caution.
I've seen a few german Consoles of this (or slightly later) vintage. Quite a few used ELL80 Output Tubes.
These are dual audio output pentodes, 2 of these tubes (4 pentodes total) were often used for parallel push pull with just 2 output tubes.
If it uses those tubes then there is the negative that replacements are VERY expensive and reasonably hard to find. Of-course if it does use those tubes and they turn out to be good then you may find that you have maybe 4 times the purchase price in tube value.
Cheers,
Ian

German console?

Hi, this is Curt. I went, looked and bought ($40.00) the German console today. I was a little disappointed because it looks like a lower end model and I cannot find the make on it anywhere. I was hoping it would have larger speakers. It has 5-1/2 x 9 inch oval wizer cone speakers, small tweeter and no crossover. The speakers look good. Cabinet looks in good condition, just a few small scratches. It has really cool speaker grill covers. Record changer appears to be complete and not tampered with. The amplifier is dirty but not rusty. Someone has loosened the transformer, tuning dial string is broken but the dial glass and controls are nice. I did not want to try and power it up. It has these tubes: ELL80, EAF801, ECH81, ECC83 and ECC85. I am attaching some pictures- I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet...

Attachments

• German 030.jpg
    German 030.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 97
  • German 029.jpg
    German 029.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 100
  • German 028.jpg
    German 028.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 85
  • German 025.jpg
    German 025.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 70
  • German 021.jpg
    German 021.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 68
  • German 020.jpg
    German 020.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 66
  • German 013.jpg
    German 013.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 68
  • German 012.jpg
    German 012.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 87
  • German 010.jpg
    German 010.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 172
  • German 018.jpg
    German 018.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 171
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Not one i've seen anything like. What brand are the tubes?

Those speakers are very nice. Small whizzer and the brown woven dust cap brings back pleasent memories. Mount it vertically on an open baffle and see how it does.

The tweeters are sungle ended electostatics, driven directly off the amplifier plates where the single cap XO is. Yours are isophon STH-75

From the one picture that shows the OPTs i get the impression they are pretty largefor a console, it was fairlycommon to see the same OPTs across the range,so these could well be beefy enuff to support an EL84 SE build of decent quality. I've not seen any that look like those.

dave

Why salvage that pretty console ?
I don't know how to say that, but when you salvage it, you can only make it "worse". That console is the best result of all the parts and materials in it. When you take it apart, you only get a shitty mono amplifier but you destroyed a nice radio console with history. To get me wrong, but there are people out there who would salvage a Van Gogh because of the frame.

Why salvage that pretty console ?
I don't know how to say that, but when you salvage it, you can only make it "worse". That console is the best result of all the parts and materials in it. When you take it apart, you only get a shitty mono amplifier but you destroyed a nice radio console with history. To get me wrong, but there are people out there who would salvage a Van Gogh because of the frame.

You could get two mono SE amplifiers, or one stereo :)

Hi,

Hi, this is Curt. I went, looked and bought ($40.00) the German console today. I was a little disappointed because it looks like a lower end model and I cannot find the make on it anywhere.

I may be talking out of my rear orifice here, but it is possible this console was made in East Germany (quite possibly with slave labour from political prisoners - Ikea used this for years) under contract for a West German Catalog/Department Store.

A lot of this went on in the 50's and 60's and even into the 80's (by the 80's it was of course no longer consoles).

I can be sure to be able to tell with close-ups of the components on the radio chassis. It is equally possible it was made under a similar contract in the West.

There is certainly a familiar vibe about this console.

Ciao T

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I may be talking out of my rear orifice here, but it is possible this console was made in East Germany (quite possibly under contract for a West German Catalog/Department Store.

Thorsten

I was almost going to suggest that, since some of the parts were reminiceint of an RFT i has seen a number of, but seeing a number of West German parts in it, i didn't know how often, if at all, that happened.

If the question about the kind of tubes was RFT i was going to put forward Easy Germany.

dave

Does anyone know about this Gerrman console

Hi This is Curt. I forgot one tube, it is a EMM 803 that is in the dial.(Tunning eye) ? All tubes are TELEFUNKEN Germany. Here are two pictures, the last is the dial tube. I've already had $40.00 worth of fun. Thnks all Curt Let me know if I can send more pics and of what part.

Attachments

• German 002.jpg
    German 002.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 123
  • German 001.jpg
    German 001.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 123
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Double check that the ECC83 has a diamond etched into the bottom of the tube. If the tube tests good and it has good silkscreen (be very careful handling it), you might be able to recover your purchase price with that tube alone.

I might be interested in buying the ELL80 off you.

Better pictures of the OPTs (with a ruler or tape for reference)?

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.