• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

813 review

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Some comments:

The max grid leak resistance for the 813 is 50k Ohm and for the 6HV5A 100kOhm

The 6HV5A will not work well with resistor plate load. I recommend a choke load or transformer coupling

The 6HV5A does not need DC heater, AC will work without hum

Besides that there are some drawing errors in the schematic:

813 is shown as indirectly heated and marked 300B
The 6HV5A doesnot have a screen grid
The rectifier in the bias supply is missing

Best regards

Thomas

Where's the 813's screen?

Looks like someone took a schematic from someplace and changed the plate voltage value and the bias value.

No way are the cathode and grid connections swapped, you can't connect the grid or the cathode to the plate supply and have it work...

Is this a class project? :D At "Cal Poly"??

_-_-bear

Hi!

Connect pin 3 of the 6HV5 to the cathode, not to plate!

You might want to look at the schematic of my 211 amp which uses the 6HV5A as driver:

VinylSavor: Making of a 211 Amplifier, Part 1: Planning

I recommend to run the 6HV5 at a higher voltage and more current. A step down interstage will provide a more reasonable gain and nice low impedance drive to the output tube

Best regards

Thomas

Here is Actual amplifier

with all your help..
i got 25w output with less than 2% dis from (25 to 20K)
Thanks, Rookies

Attachments

• 813 pic 1.jpg
    813 pic 1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 304
  • 813 pic2.jpg
    813 pic2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 300
Planning new AMP

Planning for new AMP… (Do not want to build these amps 845,211,813 75TL...) I am looking for your input and technical expertly. Thank you, Rookies

In stock:
1-pair X-10S
1-pair UTC S-47
2 pairs 10H/300A
2 pair’s 50uF/2KV
2 pairs 3B28
Some miscellaneous in my garage (oil Cap, Res, diode, mechanical parts, socket, driver tube e.e )

If need interstage (I will buy one pair)

Since a had a scare with high voltages, I am planning to build an under-volted (600Vdc) SE 813, pentode mode amp. Does anyone have any info or experience on running the 6HV5A at lower voltages. From what I have read, at high voltages (2000V), generates considerable distortion. I am hoping that the reverse is true and that there are no unforeseen issues.

813 help review

What I know 6HV5 or 6HS5 does not work well under 1KV. If you are can work with 600V why not go to 1KV. Mr. Thomas from vinylsavor recommends me a choke load or transformer coupling. I would like to try this but I do not have these in house so I use 20K resistor load work very well.
I would like to Thank you many people in here help me to correct 813 schematic.
Best regards
Rookies

Kheper if you are in North CA I can help you (408 890 9100)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.