• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

tube rectifier and tda 1543

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a few tda 1543's, and I am interested in using a tube rectifier if at all possible, to run the dac chip which only uses a 5v supply, I'm not sure if tube rectifiers are available to operate at this level.

Does anyone know if this is possible and how?

Thanks
Raja

Beast Rectifiers

There are some rectifiers out there that could probably provide the current (dampers such as PY500a) but you'll still have to use a voltage regulator . Unlikely that any single rectifiers could provide enough current for the entire DAC . Franks's right , schottkeys are the way to go , just open up a Farnell catalogue and the choice is huge .

As an aside I have actually dabbled with valve rectifiers providing low voltage supplies and it was not easy (or small!) to implement . The design lit up the filaments of a pair of 11LE3 battery valves and used PY801's for rectification running choke-loaded from a 48-0-48v supply and DN2540 depletion msofets as current sources . This power supply scheme actually dwarfed the line stage it was designed to power and quite frankly I never got round to finishing it : far too impractical ! If anyone has managed this with a 2A3 I'd like to know !

316a

If you are looking to do something different for a power supply.....

Try a conventional diode bridge with a choke (inductor) input for filtering, what some people identify as an L-C-L-C filter.

If you want to go the next step, try a shunt regulater, fed by a constant current source.

Alan Wright's interesting "Tube Preamp Cookbook" gives some interesting comments.

http://www.vacuumstate.com/

Just a thought,

Aud_Mot

Re: tube rec's

would like less of a solid state sound from my cd's.

Hi,

If that is goal then hook-up a single triode amplifying stage behind your DAC. Bias it to some non-linear region, et voila you get all the harmonics tubes are (partly) famous for. For sure you get a much less solid state sound.

But to me this appears to be the same as using an air refresher on the toilet :bigeyes:

Cheers ;)

As schottkys don't come close to vacuum rectifiers i've also been tempted to use vacuum rectification with a SS circuit. It should be possible to use almost any rectifier provided you're prepared to drop a lot of volts across the regulator.
Btw it's not obvious from the link to Zanden that they actually use vacuum power for the DAC. It may just be for the output valve.
Any idea what the freaky air-cored coils are for?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

As schottkys don't come close to vacuum rectifiers i've also been tempted to use vacuum rectification with a SS circuit. It should be possible to use almost any rectifier provided you're prepared to drop a lot of volts across the regulator.

This can be and has been done before.

You don't even need to drop all that much voltage, a choke input filter would help here already.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.