• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New build of P-P PCL86 Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody!

This is my first post, I wish to show my latest build of very fine sounding PCL86 PP amp which is fully based on Dissident amp ( Yvesm ) & Gingertubes ( Giant Killer ) designs but with some changes on biasing of output tubes ( I used LM317 as CCS instead of resistors per channel ), power supply ( 2 x toroid 12V power transformers with secondaries connected together ) and fitting a complete pre-amp stage with RIAA from Audio Innovations 300 series amp.

My goal was to build practical, compact en cheap integrated amp. Total cost is about 200,-Euro in parts with Toroid power transformers, Hammond 125D output, Philips NOS PCL86 & new JJ ECC83S.

What can I say - very musical & sweet sounding amp with great stereo and pin-point presentation. I used pentode mode connection mostly because of Hammond 125D limitations - btw. considering how small it is - it sound really good, except for very limited low-end.

Regards,
Max

Attachments

• Image011.jpg
    Image011.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 667
  • Image012.jpg
    Image012.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 594
  • Image008.jpg
    Image008.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 601
Looks nice, well done! What are the measurements on the frequency response? That always worries me a bit with the Hammond 125's, especially since you remark that the low end is limited. I'm kind of curious as to how this actually works out in a practical implementation using this kind of power tube.

I find that when using power trannies for OPT's (yes, it's filthy, but it's an option...), the low end tends to be quite well-represented, extending to about 40Hz in a 6AQ5 PP triode-connected amp I use daily. However, above 10kHz, performance tends to degrade quite badly. How do the Hammonds perform in your amp for high frequencies?

PCL86 PP

Hello,

Thanks for kind words, to be more specific I used cheapest Hammond PP-output transformers model-125D for output duty and two standard toroid power transformers 220V/12V 200 WATT connected with secondaries together to form one high voltage ( about 230VAC ) transformer. It works very well with about 285 Volts on anodes of output tubes.
Only Hammond 125D are not really made for hi-fi use, there is not much power in the low-end, but mid & highs are excellent!
I based amp on proven design from DIY audio members ( look for Giant Killer or Dissident ECL86 amp ) and is probably best pentode sound I ever heard.
I used first two drawings to combine one that works for me and from third I picked LM317 CCS biasing...
At the moment I can't measure linearity of output transformers... I have no means to do so...

Max

Attachments

• ECL86 PP.gif
    ECL86 PP.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 847
  • ECL86_baby_Huey_Def_Final_amp.jpg
    ECL86_baby_Huey_Def_Final_amp.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 630
  • PCL86-differential-PP-4.gif
    PCL86-differential-PP-4.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 527
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.