• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

good circuit to use with Grounded Grid Pre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have already built a grounded grid pre and it works fine. I am ready to start another project and I have been tossing various tube types and designs around and still have not come up with something to try. I have been thinking that I could save time and money if I just build the output circuit and use my existing pre amp.

I am wondering if anyone has had any good matches with the Grounded Grid and if so - what tubes did you use, circuit, etc.

Thank you.

Gary

I have just had a look at it on Google books (around page 86). It is not a grounded grid preamp, but a cathode-coupled amp (otherwise known as long-tail pair) with an SRPP-like output and negative feedback to the supposedly grounded grid. Nothing especially wrong with this circuit, just not what it is called. True grounded grid preamps were used at UHF and microwave frequencies, but audio does not have to work up to 1GHz!

It will probably have quite a high output impedance (1-2K?) but OK provided the cable is not too long, and the main amp input impedance is either high or linear. This means that it could be a bit fussy about partners (but not through "discrimination"!).

I am wondering if anyone has had any good matches with the Grounded Grid and if so - what tubes did you use, circuit, etc.
Bruce's grounded grid has a solid reputation. And I think it should work with a wide range of amplifiers.

Rather than ask what goes well with it. I think it would be better to ask yourself. What speakers do I have (or want to have soon)? How big is my room? What type of music do I prefer? How much do I want to spend? Should I get a kit or diy everything...etc. etc.

If you answer some of these questions I think it would be easier to suggest a suitable amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.