Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Can the 6S33S/6C33C be mounted horizontally?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2010, 03:53 AM   #1
ben_f_m is offline ben_f_m  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Can the 6S33S/6C33C be mounted horizontally?

Has anyone thought about mounting the 6S33S horizontally? I have some rack mount air force power supply chassis in which all of the tubes were mounted horizontally in a center cavity open on the top and the bottom. It seems such an arrangement could help keep the temperature down as heat is a common problem with these tubes.
Old 10th August 2010, 05:36 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The data sheets I believe mention vertical operation only, and the filament/cathode assemblies in 6C33 run so hot that I suspect sagging and shorting to the grid is a real possibility. (The grid structure may also sag) Forced air cooling isn't going to reduce the cathode temperature at all, although with these it is not a bad idea under any circumstance provided the fan(s) used are quiet enough not to be distracting.
Old 10th August 2010, 07:02 AM   #3
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Anatoliy Lisovskiy
diyAudio Member

I have not seen specific requirements for mounting position, but if it must be alive after a single impact of 500g acceleration, or constant 6g of 10-300 Hz vibration, do you think a mounting position matters at all?
Old 10th August 2010, 12:58 PM   #4
mace1337 is offline mace1337  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I think they are mounted horizontally in the radar system they were originally designed for, I'll see if I can dig up the picture.

edit: here it is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C33C_military_3.jpg (94.1 KB, 183 views)
Old 10th August 2010, 03:19 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've seen one of those at the MIT flea (hamfest) and asked the guy who owned it about the tube mounting arrangement, he indicated that they apparently needed fairly frequent service and ran very hot. I was amazed at how much stuff they packed into that box, and how nicely put together it was.

Regardless of military usage practices I think mounting these vertically is probably the safest bet despite their ability to survive short term high amplitude shocks. I'm not that sure about their long term mechanical integrity operated in any other position based on my admittedly limited experience with them.

The surplus tubes available today seem to come in several grades and I have had a significant number that were defective new out of the box. (Yes, with grid to cathode shorts due to a warped grid assembly - how it got that way I have no idea.)
Old 10th August 2010, 04:31 PM   #6
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

They were used in Mig jets, so I highly doubt mounting position matters. The only thing I will point out is that the tube is heavy and the sockets don't grab really tight. You will need some kind of bracing to prevent the tubes from falling out of the socket.
Old 10th August 2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Anatoliy Lisovskiy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Regardless of military usage practices I think mounting these vertically is probably the safest bet despite their ability to survive short term high amplitude shocks. I'm not that sure about their long term mechanical integrity operated in any other position based on my admittedly limited experience with them.
Up to 35g during the whole guaranteed lifetime.
Old 10th August 2010, 07:16 PM   #8
FullRangeMan is offline FullRangeMan  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Deleted, irrelevant.

Last edited by FullRangeMan; 10th August 2010 at 07:18 PM.

Can the 6S33S/6C33C be mounted horizontally?Hide this!Advertise here!