• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

preamp-amp tap - would this work

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For a typical SE / PP tube integrated (random schematic stolen from the www), ...could the following tap work as either a pre-amp out (fed out to a seperate power amp) or as a main in (to run the amp in question as a power amp). there are no switches to break any flow of current.

thanks, ;)

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 246
This is similar to what I was trying to do in a guitar amp. Basically you can certainly use the second stage after the coupling cap as an input, but if you want a "line out" from the preamp you really need to use a cathode follower to get a low enough output impedance.

Check this schematic (It is a guitar preamp but the same principles apply.)

http://www.kbapps.com/audio/tubeamps/preamp.html

So you would need another triode section per channel to do this. Not too hard at all.

Frank,

Why not?

If he does not hook up a speaker to it, and puts a dummy load on the output, or even pulls the out the 6V6 altogether, he can drive a high impedance load.

If he puts another source, provided it is a lower impedance, he can drive the 6V6.

Both can be done without necessarily having to do much doctoring. I would say just use a 10K resistor in series with the "hot" wire (as opposed to the gound one) as a kind of buffer/isolater. As long as high impedances are maintained.

Why would not this work? This is exactly how the phase inverter in some P-P amps work. The inverter takes the signal from that point (the grid of the output tube).

But... the switch idea is the best. The follower would be ideal, but only really needed with low impedance loads.

My :2c:.

Gabe

wow, ..i never realized there were so many ways to look at such a simple idea,

the reason i thought of this is i have a pair of vintage monoblock PP tube integrateds (pilot aa-903). i thought of modding, as described in my post, one of the inputs to the pre-amp 12ax7.

this (reversible) change would still maintain the stock appearance of the amp.

cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.