• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

output transformer turns per volt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi friends

my friend he want build a SE tube amp with 300B tube but output transformer is not available we deside to make an output transformer we have formula or idea for turns ratio for impedense but no idea that how many turns we shall wind in primery and which dia or which number of coper enamel wire we use our transformer size is 80VA chinice power transformer with good lamination black colour iron core. and if any friends have idea about it please share your experience with us.it is very kind if anyfriends reply.
sorry for bad english

Best regard

Ataul

Last edited:
Hi Ataul,

I did that :
http://www.dissident-audio.com/SE_300B/KISS/DA143.pdf
Beware ! Metric numbers !

and obtained that:

Right-4Wbode.png

Yves.

hi,
when it comes to output trannies, we have a local manufacturer here in our country, I have used this product and I can attest to the sonic as well as ruggedness. They dont use ordinary irons, otherwise your project will sound mediocre and a fire hazard as well. Here it is, performing on my tube amp, a
6F6G single ended driven by 12AV6:
Image053.jpg
[/IMG]
fresh from the shipment|:
Image045.jpg
[/IMG]

1000 turns on the secondary side seems like a good starting point. You usually end up with 1000/1400 secondary and 3000+ primary.

Did you mean 100 turns on the secondary?

1000 turns on the secondary and 3000 on the primary is a 3:1 turns ratio which assuming a 8 ohm load nets you a 72 ohm load on the 300b.

Yves design with 82 secondary and 1620 primary looks to be much closer to reality.

dave

Hi,
The turns per volt is calculated around the area of the centre leg in an EI core. Too few turns and it will saturate, too many and the copper losses, interwinding capacitance and leakage inductance will suffer.

Its a bit more complicated than that in reality but I think its great that your willing to give it a go:)

Check out this page on Patrick Turners site for single ended transformer design:

se-output-trans-calc

Cheers Matt.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.