• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Rectifier tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
RECTUMFRIERS...

Hi,

If you already have the Edicrons it isn't worth it to spend extra cash on the EH.
Both are quite likely just the Russian 5U4Gs anyway.

NOS 5U4Gs would be my choice but I fail to see why you want to experiment with different rectifiers...there are much more important aspects of an amp worthy of experiment IMHO.

De gustibus et coloribus non discutandum est, of course.

Cheers,;)

Yuval,

I swapped the Edicrons in my WAD KaT34 for the National 5U4GB. Being the GB they drop voltage by an extra 6 volts (or should, I've not measured it yet). I found that they give a big improvement, a lot of "mush" is removed. Perhaps the bass is a touch less prominent due to the extra mid and top-end detail. Still plenty of bass though. The quality of the bass did not change (fortunately).

Whilst you won't turn a bad amp into a good one with these rectifiers, I certainly experienced a very worthwhile improvement. The sort of difference you get with swapping from an avaerge sounding output tube to a good one.

Clive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.