• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best china amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I joined the forums in 2001 and did build a Aleph amplifier...Then wife and kids took too much of my time and after a loooong time I'm back searching something to modify/build.

This time I want to go for tubes and was thinking buting something from Ebay/china to modify or rebuild.

So my questions are:

- What is the best "ebay" tube amp in the $400-$600 range, which I could use straight out of the box, and later modify to make it sound better?

- Which has the most "potential"?

- As "metallic" parts are expensive here in Norway, would it be better just to pick up the cheapest one, throw everything out and collect parts and rebuild completly?

Btw. I'm not looking for a lot of power but best sound for the bucks...

-Kaj

I second the Suppo. I've e-mailed Joe at Suppo and he'll sell a transformerless version if you ask nicely. It saves alot on shipping, especially if you can source good transformers locally. Difficult to make minor mods to a PCB, but it looks like there's enough room inside to add power supply regulation and DC for the heaters. You could always make a new PCB with your prefered circuit later if you want to experiment.

everyone seems pretty happy with their Suppo el84 units and the price is VERY right! See the recent threads in this board incuding reviews and comments by the builder/designer

I second the Suppo. I've e-mailed Joe at Suppo and he'll sell a transformerless version if you ask nicely. It saves alot on shipping, especially if you can source good transformers locally. Difficult to make minor mods to a PCB, but it looks like there's enough room inside to add power supply regulation and DC for the heaters. You could always make a new PCB with your prefered circuit later if you want to experiment.

I'll third that. If you're looking for a good quality, cheap tube amp, these go very well. They sound very good and at the price are fantastic.

You can find my review, as well as a few other reviews and Joe's comments (spaudio) here - Review of First Suppo Audio Offering

My best sound for the bucks is:

Audioromy FU13

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Look at the links below:

Audioromy 838A FU13 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/139464-audioromy-fu13-813-diagram-mods.html

Roehren-und-Hoeren :: Thema anzeigen - Audioromy 813-SE

Roehren-und-Hoeren :: Thema anzeigen - ich möchte für den audioromy fu-13 nochmal ´ne lanze brechen

After listen to yaqin MC10l, MC100B, MC300b, 6v6, 5881,Yarland 34A3, Meng yue P14, Audioromy EL34, shanling sp80 and some europaen amps. I like the audioromy FU13 the most. But this is my personal opinion. You must listen for yourself. But this amp has already a lot of fans all over the world.

Ronny

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.