• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL82 in triode with silverstepper (TVC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good day all,

time for a new project. The big amps are finished (see the TB3/1000 and 833A threads) and they do sound very fine in the audio room. But in the living room....only her shocking plastic JVC-"thing" (i simply can not call that audio / hifi / music. So....the next project will be a small amplifier. Her wishes:
no funny anode connections; small; simple switch on/off.

I had some very nice parts still laying around. The most interesting was a silverstepper. This is a input transformer combined with a switch; a TVC (Transformer Volume Control). A very usable item; it oozes quality. Till now i always used a potmeter + inputtransformer....and this is combined in a very handsome package.
Sourced from www.silvercore.de

Picture of the silverstepper. My TVC is silver-wired; hence the name. This picture is from that website; the other pictures are from the amps itself.

The tube itself: the EL82. Not again a EL84; this tube is simply too crowded inside'pushed to their limit in the designer-years in quest for the most power from a small package. And everybody uses that tube.
The EL82 is lower in power....but sounds wonderfull. I sourced a complete box of 200 tubes. All made in the same manufacturing batch in August 1951 in the Blackburn-facility of Mullard.
These nice tubes will be used in triode; not as penthode.

Attachments

• c9b5bdc68183f797314c7f8391a4f64e.jpg
    c9b5bdc68183f797314c7f8391a4f64e.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_5463.JPG
    IMG_5463.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_5476.JPG
    IMG_5476.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 710
More stuff

Also available was left-over core material for an interstage. In the big amplifiers i used EI72 nickel laminations. For that application i stacked 1 3/4 inch of that stuff (interstage 6SN7 - 300B). But now i only had to 1 inch for each interstage left. For this application that was sufficient.
So the input is doen by the silverstepper; then the first stage by 6C45; then an interstage; and the output devices are EL82's in triode.

I had enough capacitors on the shelf. Just measuring them. That's always nice about quality oil-caps (mostly military stuff). After tens of years of shelflife....measure them: and within specs.

Attachments

• IMG_5421.JPG
    IMG_5421.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 695
  • IMG_5935.JPG
    IMG_5935.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_5989.JPG
    IMG_5989.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 177
lay out

So component-wise i was heading in the good direction. But as this amplifier would be in plain sight in the living area the chassis must be nice too.

Also on the shelf are left overs from an amplifier design. These were interesting. It is a monochassis (2 avaliable) but with an integrated power supply. In essence each monochassis consist of 2 boxes; connected through massive metal piping. So the wiring is possible through those pipes.

One problem.....size....will it be too big to pass her judgement.......? But now i got all the components available and saw it fitted perfectly.

Decision made: order the top-plates.

On the pictures you can see the lay out of the powersupply and the audio-part. And this is mono.

Attachments

• IMG_7504.JPG
    IMG_7504.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_7452.JPG
    IMG_7452.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_7449.JPG
    IMG_7449.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 200
getting there

Always a nice sight: the goodies on the shelf waiting to be used !

When the top-plates arrived i could start with the mechanical construction. These amps weigh 23 kgs each. Not surprisingly as the chassis is made out of 10mm aluminium; the top-plates of stainless steel and the bottom-plates of brass. Of course the transformers also add to the total.

Attachments

• IMG_7498.JPG
    IMG_7498.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_7553.JPG
    IMG_7553.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 169
soldering....

Mechanical part over...start heating up the soldering iron.

In the pictures you can see the complete (mono-)amplifier. Very good visible is the connection between the powerssupply-part and the audio-part.

And two detail-pictures of these seperate parts.
Of course all free wired.

Attachments

• IMG_5501.JPG
    IMG_5501.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_5558.JPG
    IMG_5558.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_7328.JPG
    IMG_7328.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Finished....or not ?

The final pictures of the acomplete amps and the first testrun.

They do look good; and they sound even better. Very nice soundstage; good in details and ABSOLUTELY silent when needed (and i don't mean that you have to switch of the amps....). Seriously: these amps are silent. So hum or other funny distractions.

In total i am very pleased. But i just found out that although they do sound good i can change them again for she thinks they are too big for the livinag area. I will not dismantle these fine amps !
I will start with another amp based on the same tubes and components. Just somewhat smarter build; more economic in space.

The advantage of the silverstepper TVC is nice. You simply hook it to an audio-source....music !
Next amp i will use more items from Silvercore. For the pragmatic reason because i do not have any trannies left (and i will NOT break up the current EL82 amps) and for the musical reason for the quality is seriously good.

And now starting with a cunning plan downsizing this set-up without sacrificing the quality.

Regards, Reinout

Attachments

• IMG_7333.JPG
    IMG_7333.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_7331.JPG
    IMG_7331.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_7204.JPG
    IMG_7204.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 193
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.