• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

QUAD II mains at 240VAC instead of 220VAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!
:scratch:
My Quad II's go awfully hot and the xformer pit is flowing. The voltages at the measuring points are 10-15% higher than the nominal.
Would connecting the mains to the 240V (ca. 10% decrease in the voltage input) tap make the amps run less warm?
Any hazards?
Cheers,
Tom

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Hot Quads

Quad IIs always run rather hot, but they shouldn't be melting their pitch! There is no hazard at all in setting them to the 240V tapping rather than 220V - quite the reverse. And yes, it should make them run cooler.

Once done, check the HT voltage to the output stage against the specified voltage, and check that the 180R cathode resistor isn't on the verge of dying.

Voltages

Hello!
Thanx for the reply.
I just switched them on (some other people assured me it's OK to change taps) and here's what I've got:
323V before the choke
316V after the choke
24V on the 180R
All other voltages as before.
Do you see anything potentially damaging here? Or (even worse) sonically deteriorating?
Btw, I had 360V at the choke before...
Cheers,
Tom

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Your voltages are all 5% down on the Quad specified values, but that's unlikely to cause an audible problem, and your mains voltage variation might be as much as that anyway.

If it hasn't been done already, it's a good idea to replace the 180R 3W resistor with a 5W type, and also replace its parallel capacitor (the heat shortens its life).

Keep an eye on transformer temperature, although replacements can be had, they are expensive. I assume that you have left plenty of room around the amplifiers for cooling...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.