• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tubes: test as New? translation please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm still a tube nube,
I've been scanning Ebay for some possible pair of NOS/used 6v6gt tubes. Sometimes sellers go as far as to advertise the tester they used/no leaks/no shorts/conductance and min/max range. However sometimes sellers just say.. "Test as new on my hickock" or something. Does this really tell the condition of the tube? Or are there some specific questions I should be asking myself, or the seller, before I bid. Is there a big range in the "test as new" category?

Note: I don't know much, but I do realize every tester has different ranges and such so numbers become relative to the model used. If someone can shed a little light key differences or things to look for, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks as always - j

Hi Jim,
I believe when an eBay seller offers tubes that were tested by themselves they are trying to give the buyer some assurance that the tubes are good. This is better then no test at all. Many tube buyers have at least one tester of their own and can relate to the sellers numbers.

I also think it's very important to examine the seller's past history and feedback. Have they sold tubes in the past and how were they received by the buyers? Are you buying then as-is, or is there a return privleige offered? And never buy used tubes unless you get them for pennies.

I almost never buy tubes from eBay unless there is no other choice. I would rather buy from a reputable dealer, of which there are several. I have no affiliation with any of these like Antique Electric Supply, New Sensor, Penta Labs and more if you google around for vacuum tube dealers.

Hope this helps a little.
Victor

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
HollowState said:
Hi Jim,
I believe when an eBay seller offers tubes that were tested by themselves they are trying to give the buyer some assurance that the tubes are good. This is better then no test at all. Many tube buyers have at least one tester of their own and can relate to the sellers numbers.

I also think it's very important to examine the seller's past history and feedback. Have they sold tubes in the past and how were they received by the buyers? Are you buying then as-is, or is there a return privleige offered? And never buy used tubes unless you get them for pennies.

I almost never buy tubes from eBay unless there is no other choice. I would rather buy from a reputable dealer, of which there are several. I have no affiliation with any of these like Antique Electric Supply, New Sensor, Penta Labs and more if you google around for vacuum tube dealers.

Hope this helps a little.
Victor

I take a number of the above factors into account, plus whether or not the shipping fees seem reasonable or not. Double check the return policy and pay particular attention to any terms and conditions pertaining to the auction - the more complex and confusing or obviously written for the seller's protection the less you want to do business with that individual. Make sure there is no "restocking" fee on defective items - that is just a rip off. Very low item prices and high shipping fees means the seller is trying to avoid paying eBay fees and that sets off alarm bells in my head. I try to avoid them.

I have bought many and sold a small quantity tubes on eBay since about 1998, and have had very few problems overall. I find the most honest sellers are located in the USA, Canada, the UK, Germany and some of the former Soviet Republics. The least honest have without exception been from Hong Kong - so much so in fact that I generally don't buy tubes from individual sellers located there. (HK brick and mortar businesses are generally just fine.)

I'm not a fan of Penta, but do business with all of the others Victor listed above, that said I generally prefer eBay.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.