• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Spelling, capitalization, and grammar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If there is a hit list of language and unintentional mistake misuse then I'm throwing my towel off the forum. People like myself with mixed language backrounds are bound to ocassionally slip up, and we give technical advice for free. True like others I'm amazed to the amount of single language english speaking people who can't spell or write it either. Not exactly a lesson for everyone else.

richj

It should be noted that a large proportion of U.K. students fail their English language exams.

This may be due to the introduction of text-spellings ( u; r; w8 etc.) or the distortion of established meanings ( bad=good; gay=homosexual etc.).

It may also be due to the blind acceptance of spell-checkers.

English is an extremely complex language in terms of grammar and punctuation.

There is an excellent, though tedious, book which explains all.

'Eats,Shoots and Leaves' by Lynne Truss.

Andy

poynton said:
English is an extremely complex language in terms of grammar and punctuation.

Being a full-blooded American (with an Austrian heritage and ancestry), I feel I've earned the right to step on my language a little.

English is mostly a bastardized conglomeration of words taken from other languages. We have horrible grammar (not how we speak it, but how we define it). It makes little sense, there are too many exceptions, and not enough expression.

I've taken a particular liking to Koine Greek in the past few years. So expressive, detailed, and well defined. And much more challenging than English. It is interesting that in the study of another language, it is necessary to understand basic grammar rules (what is the difference between subjunctive, participle, infinitive, imperative). I realize that I am hindered in learning Greek, because I don't understand my native language, and its rules, well enough.

So, I'm a degreed engineer, but I'm also a dumb American who doesn't know his own language. We should not get offended by this; it should drive us to learn.

My utmost respect to those who can communicate and THINK in two languages.

English is mostly a *******ized conglomeration of words taken from other languages. We have horrible grammar (not how we speak it, but how we define it). It makes little sense, there are too many exceptions, and not enough expression.

The first sentence is true. It's also true of every other major language.

The second is partly true, but English grammar is FAR simpler than just about any other. There are irregular verbs, but not to the percentage of those in French (for example). The big advance is the elimination of grammatical gender (der, die, das, le, la, los, las...), the dual formal-informal second person (du, Sie, tu, vous, usted...), and the near absence of inflection. This makes English much simpler to learn to speak well.

The bastardization has also led to a particularly rich vocabulary. By changing the word use slightly, there is a terrific ability to shade connotation and give social indicators, much more so than in most other languages.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I believe this thread is mostly concerned with people who don't use punctuation or improper use of capitals. I know I don't speak or write properly any more. English was one of my better subjects in high school. Still, if an attempt is made - cool! I'm happy.

If you can post in a manner that is easily read, then what more can we ask? I don't care if people make spelling mistakes as long as I can read the text. Expecting perfection is too much for all teh reasons stated by other people before.

-Chris

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
My apologies to everyone for starting a thread and going away from home for a day, leaving everyone to dispute what I meant and whether I was being offensive. I had no intention of offending anyone and apologise if I have.

My thoughts were directed towards native English speakers. If English is your second language then you deserve applause for participating on the forum and you need everyone else to converse correctly to give you a chance of understanding what is going on.

I think I'm ranting against laziness. My spelling is reasonably good but I still have the spell checker enabled in Firefox (oddly, I've just discovered that Firefox is a word it doesn't know). With the spell checker enabled, there's no need for me to make spelling mistakes. I have a typing finger on each hand, so it's not a problem to use the "shift" key at the appropriate time. All that remains is for me to check that what I have typed makes sense. I've just edited this post for the third time...

EC8010, I understand that your rant is about laziness. In my few experiences as a classroom teacher I always started the semester by telling my students that I will work as hard on their education as they need or want me to, but under no circumstance will I work harder than they do.

The same applies here, both when authoring posts as well as doing the 'homework' before asking for help. I shouldn't have to put more effort into reading a post than the author put into writing it. Likewise, I should not be expected to prepare a well thought-out answer if the poster hadn't already put at least as much effort into trying to find the answer on their own.

-- Dave

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
The same applies here, both when authoring posts as well as doing the 'homework' before asking for help. I shouldn't have to put more effort into reading a post than the author put into writing it. Likewise, I should not be expected to prepare a well thought-out answer if the poster hadn't already put at least as much effort into trying to find the answer on their own.
I think you are well on the mark here.

If you expect help, put in at least a little effort.

-Chris

EC8010 said:

My thoughts were directed towards native English speakers. If English is your second language then you deserve applause for participating on the forum and you need everyone else to converse correctly to give you a chance of understanding what is going on.

In my humble opinion, this is the problem in a nutshell. The natives are the main source of language education for most of us, now that won't do us much good if they don't at least try to do it right.

Magura :)

LIKE OMG i NEED U 2 HPLE ME BUILD A TOOB AMP PLZ HELP TOOB NOOB HERE I DUN HAVE MUCH EXPIRATIANCE!

Ok sersiously, while I occasinally miss the letter 'I' and a few others, I try and keep my posts properly spelled ( bad english there) and punctuated. If you are really wanting to learn to build something and need some help on it, I find that it is always best to communicate like an adult. If you make yourself appear as professional as possible, then you will most likley get professional help. (please, no jokes on that one!;) )

I can understand misspellings occasinally , I am on a laptop right now and the tiny keys make it so hard to type properly.

One thing I hate, as mentioned by another member, is the improper use of the word 'sub'. Is it a woofer, designed to reproduce low frequencies, or a 'sub'woofer, designed to reproduce the frequencies that are SUB-what a WOOFER can produce. Sort of like those $45 computer speakers with a 6 inch 'sub'woofer in them.

I have also been bitten by people that I have tried to help before. Its not fun. People on here are here because they are knowledgable and willing to help others learn as well as learn themselves. If you don't like someones opinion- don't fight over it, its just plain immatuture and stupid.

I must admit I am also guilty of few runon posts, and improper english and spelling at times, but I thank the ones who have put up with me as I have grown a lot in this hobby. I just took grand champion at the county fair with my 6aq5 SE guitar amp, and have been selected to go the state fair. :D

I am also currently working on my first hi-fi stereo tube amplifier as well :smash:

On a final note: did you know that more people are learning english in China than speak it in America?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.