• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Diodes on power supply output for voltage drop?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently got a deal on several cased power supplies. Each is regulated at 13.8 volts and 4 amps. Can I simply put diodes on the supply and return terminals to drop the voltage? If I have two 5A diodes, each with a voltage drop of 0.7 volts, it would seem that I'd drop the voltage from 13.8 to 12.6; right where I want it for a regulated DC heater supply.

Is it this simple, or am I creating a problem for myself? Is a dropping resistor a better option, or should I tear these supplies apart and change the resistor which sets the regulator output?

Thanks for your help.

The answer is : YES

Diodes is a very good way to drop CC voltage .

Put the series diodes only in the positive rail , do not put them in the negative rail .

Regarding to eliminate any noise , put a parallel capacitor ( may
be ceramic 0.001 uf x 50 V ) , with each diode .

Regards ,

Carlos

One thing to remember is that while using diodes to drop the voltage, when the voltage is DC (which it is in your case), the diodes will get very hot if you pass any substantial current through them. Diodes of this type are normally used to rectify AC current and are "on" only half of the time. That allows them to cool down between each conduction cycle. If you're going to run a few amps through your diodes, you might have to add some heat sinking to them. Or at least make sure they have plenty of ventillation around them. Good luck.

r221b

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.