• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Switchable stages with Tubelab’s hybrid MOSFET/ 845 SE amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Tubelab’s hybrid MOSFET/ 845 SE amp,to get the most out of the 845 economically, use MOSFET stages between driver and output tube, and between input and driver tube. This reduces distortion, and allows it to run in class A2, more than doubling output.

Heresy!? . . maybe . . I will compare sans heresy

www.tubelab.com/845SE.htm

I am considering a small “reverse experiment”:

Have the two MOSFET stages switchable in or out, to compare the sound (see if they sound preferable in or out) and optionally have control over output and possibly tone.

The two MOSFET stages (to my reading) join the existing circuit at seven points. So a switch that moves the MOSFETs in or out would need to join to all seven points - would this work?

My intention is build one channel, compare it via a number of speakers to something like (from http://world.std.com/~doyle/ ) Jim Doyle's 845 Version 3 amp: (LC coupled, Direct Coupled Driver Stage) 845v3.jpg . . . then replicate the channel I prefer.

Are these switchable stages feasible?

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.