• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SSE UL question

I've just finished soldering all the components on to my SSE PCB. Next I'll be performing a bench test before building a chassis.
But I have a question (probably more than one, eventually) before I proceed.
It's about UL mode.
I ordered some Toroidy output transformers that have a UL tap.
What are the benefits of UL? Should I set my SSE up with UL by default, or should I install a switch? If I wanted to switch UL only, how would I wire that up? I've seen the diagrams on the tubelab site, but they seem to show UL switch AND CFB switch, and I'm not sure I'd need both. I don't really know what CFB does, and as a matter of fact I'm not entirely clear on UL either.

By my limited understanding, I gather that UL allow more power delivery to the speakers. I'll probably be using this amp with Bozak Rhapsody speakers, of unknown sensitivity, but probably not TOO efficient, I'm guessing. So would a default UL configuration make sense? Or should it be switched?

Can someone help explain UL for me?

Joined 2011
Try both, and then decide. It depends on the speaker system and its impedance curve.

I would first set any tweeter or midrange level controls on the speaker to flat,
(using for example white noise from an FM tuner) while using a ss amplifier.
On older speakers, a setting marked as flat can still be dull sounding (like AR, etc.)

Last edited: