• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

I've narrowed down my OT options: which to pick?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been looking around for Output Transformer options, and there's not a lot in my price range that's currently available anywhere.
From what I've read, I can expect good sound from Edcor. I was trying to avoid them at first, due to the 10-12 week lead time on new orders. But I'm thinking that it might be worth the wait.
So I've narrowed it down, I believe, to two options.
Help me decide between the two:

First, the option my pocketbook likes best: GXSE10-5K
For less than $100, I'd get my amp up and running.

Second, the "high-end" choice. CXSE25-5K
After reading about these on George's site, I get the impression they will deliver lots of power and bass, without compromising the high frequencies. I dig all that. But is it worth the extra dough? Should I shell out $200+ for these big boys?

I'm also open to other options if anyone has other suggestions.

You'll usually see it suggested to spring for the nicer opt. It has a big effect on the sound of the amp and should be a one time expense. It really comes down to how much you are looking to spend on the project and how much $100 is to you.

That being said, i have been listening to a spud amp that uses some relatively small/inexpensive opt and it sounds amazing for what it is.

If it were me, Id spend the extra hundred dollars and not wonder how much better it could have been.

It also depends on the capability of your speakers and your preferences in music.

Want to crank some techno, Pink Floyd, or other bass heavy music through speakers with a 15 inch woofer (my Silver Iris drivers mounted in 1941 vintage console radios), go for the big OPT's.

Want to listen to the "girl with a guitar" through speakers that have no response below 80 Hz (my Yamaha NS-10's), or use an active subwoofer for bass, pick the mid-range OPT.

You'll usually see it suggested to spring for the nicer opt. It has a big effect on the sound of the amp and should be a one time expense. It really comes down to how much you are looking to spend on the project and how much $100 is to you.

That being said, i have been listening to a spud amp that uses some relatively small/inexpensive opt and it sounds amazing for what it is.

If it were me, Id spend the extra hundred dollars and not wonder how much better it could have been.

I like this philosophy. I think you’ve tilted the scale for me, friend.

It also depends on the capability of your speakers and your preferences in music.

Want to crank some techno, Pink Floyd, or other bass heavy music through speakers with a 15 inch woofer (my Silver Iris drivers mounted in 1941 vintage console radios), go for the big OPT's.

Want to listen to the "girl with a guitar" through speakers that have no response below 80 Hz (my Yamaha NS-10's), or use an active subwoofer for bass, pick the mid-range OPT.

I enjoy a very wide range of music, and I do appreciate good low-end extension. I’m not sure what speakers I’ll be using with this amp, but I’m sure that bass will be a strong consideration in making that choice. I think I’ll opt for the larger Edcors.

So I actually just confirmed with Edcor that they don't build the single-ended output transformers with multiple taps. So that again leaves me wondering if 4 ohms is my best choice.
Correct me if I'm wrong: a 4 ohm amp can drive 8 ohm speakers, but an 8 ohm amp cannot drive 4 ohm speakers... if that's right, then it seems like 4 ohms is the way to go.
Open to insight on this.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.