• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Another SSE Power Trans question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been reading every thread about SSE and have a question on Power trans here are two from Edcor.
1- XPWR222 Power transformer for a 120V, 60Hz. line to 750V (375-0-375) at 350mA center tapped, 6.3V at 6A and 5V at 6A. ? is 350mA to much.
2- XPWR033 Power transformer for a 120Vrms, 60Hz.or 240Vrms, 50/60Hz. line to 760V (380-0-380) at 200mA center tapped, 6.3V at 5A and 5V at 3A. I've seen others using this one but having problems with the 760V (380-0-380).
I'm looking at KT88, 90, 120 outputs, if the first one will work then the voltage will be better. I'm going with choke no SS and putting CFB and mode switches in, I'm using High efficiency speakers 35Hz to 20kHz, 92dB.
These are the OPTs I'm looking at GXSE15-5K - 15W, 100mA, Screen/Grid Tap 40%, Frequency Response 40~18K Hz., <1dBu.
Is the 560ohm 5W R17, R27 good or do I need 680ohm 5W, just getting build list made any changes or upgrades you see or know of would be listened to.
Thanks in advance Kevin

Ok I'll add on and see if I can get help and learn, I was thinking of using the XPWR033 but was worried about the higher voltage since George recommends max of 375 per side, then I just found the XPWR222 now I want to make sure the 350 mA is not to much! I understand amperage and voltage for house and automotive but I'm new to tube amp high voltage.

Do not worry about excess amperage. Excess amperage is not forced thru the circuit or tubes. The tubes and circuit will only take what they need or are biased for. However the voltage output of a transformer will be somewhat higher if the circuit does not use the full capacity of the transformer. The voltage ratings for a transformer assume all windings are utilized and utilized to their published specs.

Do not worry about excess amperage. Excess amperage is not forced thru the circuit or tubes. The tubes and circuit will only take what they need or are biased for. However the voltage output of a transformer will be somewhat higher if the circuit does not use the full capacity of the transformer. The voltage ratings for a transformer assume all windings are utilized and utilized to their published specs.

Ok so the XPWR222 with 350mA on 375-0-375, and 6amp ,6.3v, and 5v could run a higher B+, so would the 5U4 tube for rectifier help bring the B+ down?

Hi,
Long time lurker here.
I have Hammond 374BX (375-0-375, 201 mA) in my amp using 5AR4 (GZ34) and have no problems at all. I built my unit in 2011 and thankfully performing as if it's brand new. I run SE using EL34 nowadays. I prefer it as it sounds close to my 300B (Tubelab SE of course!).

Also, 92 dB is not high efficiency if you are concern about the noise. It is not even mid-efficiency! The amp is dead silent using Altec 414A (running full range at 99dB) and Altec 802D (104 dB), so rest assured that if you build the amp per George and other users documentations here, you will be fine. Tubelab SE 300B in the middle, SE on the floor waiting its turn :)

IMG_1442.jpg

Enjoy your build, you will love the amp!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone I've been reading all the SSE builds and threads, I'm new to Tube amps, Just want to hear the sound that I did when I was a kid with my parents old console.
Nice System amandarae, I like your wood enclosures. I have the PCB from Tubelab and have my parts for the board in a project on mouser, that's why I'm asking questions to make sure on all the parts so I don't have to place second order!

Last edited:
Hi,
Long time lurker here.
I have Hammond 374BX (375-0-375, 201 mA) in my amp using 5AR4 (GZ34) and have no problems at all. I built my unit in 2011 and thankfully performing as if it's brand new. I run SE using EL34 nowadays. I prefer it as it sounds close to my 300B (Tubelab SE of course!).

Also, 92 dB is not high efficiency if you are concern about the noise. It is not even mid-efficiency! The amp is dead silent using Altec 414A (running full range at 99dB) and Altec 802D (104 dB), so rest assured that if you build the amp per George and other users documentations here, you will be fine. Tubelab SE 300B in the middle, SE on the floor waiting its turn :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Enjoy your build, you will love the amp!

Love your setup. Tell me about those horn speakers. Those are wonderful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.