• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SSE choose between 2 power transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have previously built two headphone amps (non kits-one each tube and solid state) this will be my first speaker amp build. I have my SSE board in hand, the parts to populate will be here Tuesday. The output transformers will be Edcor GXSE15-5K not yet ordered. I will be using a Triad 200mA choke in the power supply along with a motor run cap (all on order). The speakers I do not yet have. I will be ordering some small bookshelf style speakers hopefully 3way to be run by the amp build in question. The source will be a turntable with built in preamp. All is to live in a small dining room for dinner music and maybe later to a small living room. I have not decided on what output tubes I will settle on but plan on building for the standard choices of EL34, 6L6 or KT88.

The Hammond 374BX interests me in that it has a tapped primary (I am 120v nominal). Many seem to be happy with this though a few complained they run hot. Others have used the Edcor XPWR035. The Edcor does have a larger overall size which may add to longevity.

My question (finally) from a heat or quality or longevity standpoint ignoring cost, which would be the better choice ?

I also fix antique radios and we are sensitive to heat in 80 year old transformers.

Hi Dale,
I'm using the Edcor XPWR035. After hours of running it only gets warm to the touch. The tubes are what put out the real, noticeable heat. And, yes, it is a very large PT! Here's a photo to give you a size reference.

Sorry, I can't comment on Hammonds.

David

Attachments

• tubelab_sse.JPG
    tubelab_sse.JPG
    393.9 KB · Views: 95
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.