• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Output Transformer options for SSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
@cogitech

Recently finished my amplifer. Used all Transcendar iron, the 7 Watt OPT, a choke and a mains. 5670 as driver and el84 as power. 20% UL and just a tad over 8 db NFB.

I build it in the looks I encountered as a kid rather then a "modern" look. Did not like the old Philips colors and choose a brown /copper colour. (I worked for Philips after leaving university where I studied vacuum tube technology in the last class to be taught in that subject - solid state afterwards).

I splashed ut on a TKD potentiometer (leaves an Alps in the dust).

In my 55 years of playing with tube technology I always considered tube rolling as something of "hog wash". However with this little amplifier something happened: I perceive a difference in changing the output tubes - did not like the Electro Harmonix, nor the NOS Tesla but liked the Telam and Polam tubes (came out of Philips subsidary in Poland - the last Philips factory to make EL84).

I've got more than 20 different 2C51 / 5670 / 6N3P / 6N3P-E / 6N3P-EV (last three Russian, not the Chinese brown stuff) and about 30 odd EL84 / 6BQ5 / 6P14P-EV so it will last me the rest of my life.

I had a bit of work to do to improve the square wave response and feel that the transformers I used 7 years ago (the 10 watt versions) were better in that respect. But with this amplifer I hear more detail than I have ever heard before in any of my amplifiers. I prefer it a lot above the Yamaha natural sound RX-E600 that I used previously.

You mentioned the Allergo website - I looked at it and do not give it much credence for their calculation of power required.

I use the little amp during the day and evening and drive it from my Apple Mac Mini (decent signal - noise ratio) and use Foobar 2000 as music player. Foobar 2000 has a volume slider that displays volume in dB. Some calibrated test CD's were used and it seems to work OK.

From this I noticed that I listen mainly between about 50mW and 120mW output on my ProAc Tablette 10 at about 2 feet from both. (lowest distortion vs maximum output happens around 11 Ohm speaker impdance making for approx 6500 - 7K primary impedance)

Regarding transformers: I have had the lot, never took a shine to PP and like the SE. But as @TubeLab remarked: the more iron you have to magnetise the more it seems to loose the finest details. In other words: you have to "right size" in power and matching OPT.

Like yourself: I do not need lots of power - if I need to go loud then I have some SS amps.

Unfortunately health is failing so I am calling it quits making stuff after 55 years playing around with HAM radio and tube gear.

Enjoy the hobby!

Attachments

• 5670 - EL84 20pct UL 8.2dB NFB amplifier.png
    5670 - EL84 20pct UL 8.2dB NFB amplifier.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Power supply.jpg
    Power supply.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 110
  • my office.jpg
    my office.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.