• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Quad 2805s and 845 SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking of building the 845 SE, and wondered if anyone has used them with electrostatics. In particular the Quad 2805s. At the moment I have a Parasound A21, which is a bit over the top. Preamps are type 26 and 01A DHTs (Bartola based designs) or a Sowter TVC.
I used to have a pair of Ming Da 845 SETs, but sadly had to sell them. That was before I bought the Quads.
EDIT. I've just realised this design may not be ready. Is that correct?

Last edited:
He may have built more than one

There was only one that I made. I got several email inquiries in the first few years after I published the design. I told several people the details and how to do a better power supply, but I don't know if any were ever built.

The 845SE was a custom design by George for himself.

Yes, that was the case. I built one, used it quite a bit in the first few years, but It pumped 500 to 600 watts worth of heat into the room which didn't work well in my small 10 X 10 foot work room with all the other stuff plus me making heat. Even with a small window air conditioner in addition to the central air conditioning I could only run the amp for an hour or so before the room got too hot. The final nail in the coffin came when I built some better speakers that didn't need 30 WPC, and the amp went into the closet.

I have since moved to cold country where the extra heat would be welcome, but I have curious grandkids showing up randomly, and that amp has lots of exposed high voltages, so it has never been used. It still sits on the shelf waiting for my attention, but hasn't seen power in nearly 10 years.

For those who can DIY, the design of the amplifier itself is solid. If I was to build another today, I would not change anything, except I would use a new TSE-II board for the driver instead of the old TSE.

The power supply however, was made out of my collection of transformers and it used a voltage doubler made with 5AR4's. I would redesign it.

As I have only just started looking at Tubelab*, I didn't realise it was an old design. The amp design would work for me, but it's the PSU that I need more "handholding" with. The DHT preamps I have built were with a lot of help; I'm not clever enough to design for myself.
Ah well, I may just have to BUY something! :eek:
* To a large extent due to your sensible posts in the "fallacy of high end" thread.

My Local HiFi Group are quite keen on their Valves and Quad ESL's

I am using PP 845's on Stacked 57's.

Another Member is using Sansui AU111 Power Amplification with Stacked 57's.

Another Member is using a Graaf OTL with ESL 63's.

Another Member is using a EAR 899 Power Amp with ESL 2812's.

All the power amp/speaker combinations sound very good, and will allow the traits of each speaker model to come through in the SQ.
Not at any time have I felt there was something amiss, they all sound very good within their dedicated environments.

The above Speakers, apart from mine, have also been run on a Neurochrome Power Amp, that works extremely well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.