• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab SE blown rectifier on Checkout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first post at diyAudio, and I come looking for help with my Tubelab SE build. I usually do restoration work, and I have a good amount of experience with tube equipment, but I am still a hobbyist. I usually hang out over at Audiokarma, but I'm trying some DIY.

I'm building the amp to use with 2A3's. I powered up the amp with no tubes like the instructions say, and the filament voltages were right at 2.5v, the B- was around -200VDC, and the B+ was slightly negative, -14V or something like that. I next installed the 5AR4 rectifier and powered on. The rectifier warmed up for several seconds as you'd expect, but when the B+ started ramping up, it kept climbing until the rectifier sparked and shorted. I think it was at around 500 or 600VDC by the time I realized what happened, but it was pretty quick.

I am seeing 5.3 VAC or so at the rectifier filaments without the tube installed, and around 580VAC between T1-4 and T1-5 with no tube installed.

I am using a Hammond 270HX power transformer. A Triad C-14X choke is in place of R4.

C4 is 4.7uf 450v, and C5 is 150uf 450v with a 100uf 370 VAC motor run capacitor wired in parallel with C5.

I have checked my work over and over, and I can't find anything. I am hesitant to fire it up again with another rectifier until I do some more troubleshooting. It seems like there must be some kind of short in the B+ supply, but what else could cause the rectifier to short and B+ to keep climbing? Any advice on what to look at next is very appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.