• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SSE Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I'm just about at the stage of putting together my SSE, I have a few quick questions for you guys first though.

I've got a V2 board, which appears to have a couple of components not present in the schematic; specifically D3, D4 and TR1. D3 and D4 lead to pins 4 and 6 on the rectifier tube, I'm not sure where TR1 goes. What do these components do and are they required?

I was inspired to build an SSE by this post, I really like the symmetry in this design and would like to do something similar. The guy who built this has wired point to point, whereas I'm using the PCB. What wire gauge would you recommend for wiring the tube sockets to the mounting points on the board? I'm guessing that with the frequency response on tubes, I should go as thick as possible as capacitance isn't likely to cause any issues?

And finally, the design above appears to use two identical capacitors. Would I be correct in assuming he has wired two 50uf motor run caps in parallel as his auxiliary capacitor? If so, would two of these be suitable?

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hello bk2018,
here are my notes collected from various posts about D3/4 and TR1.

I'm using a PCB so no experience with longer wires/P2P-wiring. As motor-run cap, I have used 80-C870CG36100AA0J from mouser. Be aware it has a M12 thread at the end of the can. Perfect to mount it horizontaly on a metal profile inside the amp, less so do have it protrude through the top-plate.

Charles

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.