• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SPP 6CW5 EL86 bias resistor value?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been using 270 ohm, 5 watt, bypassed with 100uF, 50V as indicated in the assembly manual. I blew one of the 270 ohm resistors. Is there a better value for these tubes? I just got replacements in the mail and after I install them I'll post pin readings. Maybe just a bad tube?

I checked Pin 2 for DCV and got .02 VDC on 3 of the tubes and .05 VDC on the suspect one that had the blown resistor. Earlier after I replaced the resistor and first plugged in the amp, I got red plate on the suspect tube. I switched the tubes on that channel and no red plate, but the new resistor started smoking. Then I switched around the 12AT7s and the amp ran, no smoke, no red plate. The above measurements were taken after that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.