• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SimpleSE C1 value

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Before I complete my SimpleSE with tube rectification, I'd like to check on the value of C1. The schematic specifies 47uF, but I read somewhere that it's a little too high for modern tube rectifiers.

Could anyone explain whether, and why this could be the case. That way, I can order a lower value, say 33uF when I make my final order of extra bits from DigiKey.

Thanks,
Charlie

The larger the 1st capacitor (reservoir cap), the more ripple current it will draw thru the rectifier tube. The more current drawn, the harder it is on the rect. tube and transformer. The 5ar4 can handle up to a 60uF 1st cap according to the various mfg. data sheets, so 47uF is under the limit. I'd go (and did go) with the 33uF cap, less strain on the tube and transformer, also allows a higher ripple voltage... it's the job of the other power supply caps and choke to smooth out the dc... I hope this answered your question... It's been almost 1/2 a century since I went to electronics school, so I'm hoping I got it right or close to right....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.