• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Simple se ideas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have had some simple se boards I have ordered from George sitting in my study for a while and have decided to get motivated and start building.

I need to order everything except for those impossible to get 'transistors' I have successfully built a few pcb based tube amps now and want to go a bit further with this one.

My idea is to use the new kt120 tube driven pretty much to maximum dissipation and I'm hoping to get 20 or more watts in ultralinear mode using diode rectification only.

I would like to use one of the antek toridal power transformers and wanted to get some opinions on what the absolute maximum voltage I could apply to the board would be I'm quiet aware that I would need to series up power supply caps if the rectified voltage gets to be more than 500 but unsure if any resistance values should change for the driver tubes.
Or weather sticking to the max recommended 400-0-400 would be the go

For the outputs triode store has a pretty good looking 30w single ended ultralinear transformer 2.5k or using different tappings 5k I was thinking this would be pretty good configured to use it as 2.5k

Just wanted to throw some ideas around and see what people thought.

Gary

Ps I have accidentally posted this to the main forum and can't seem to delete it

This Idea Keeps Popping up.

I don't know if you saw them, but there are at least 2 threads on this already.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubelab/171980-simple-se-kt120.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubelab/183611-simple-se-kt120s.html

I have to admit that this idea has been rattling around in my head ever since I got my grubby hands on a pair of Edcor's mamoth single-ended output transformers. ( EDCOR Electronics Corporation. CXSE25-8-5K I have been listening to it's 3.2k brother for the last week on 2a3s and 300b's and they sound very nice especially for the price. I am not sure what the ideal plate load would be for a KT120, I would do more research before moving forward) That, or taking two simple SE boards and making SE monoblocks with 2 Kt88 or EL34's per channel. From these threads it sounds like two of the biggest challenges will be finding caps that will take that much voltage, and keeping octal base sockets from arcing. Of course there is always the danger of the kt120 not catching on, and spending a lot of time and money on an orphan amp. And I agree with George, get the amp running first, then put in the KT120, then turn up the voltage, there would be too many variables otherwise. I would love to see someone actually build one. Hmmm, I do have a simple SE board just laying around...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.