BOM Fatigue

My solution to 11 is to have at least 10 projects running in parallel, but at various state of BOM completion. I order just over the minimum for free shipping, around once a month.

Then I’m always one order away if i miss a part to complete the project I want to finish.

Naturally it goes forever, with a lot of unfinished projects laying around.

Can’t win…

SB

I have two projects going:
* tube amp build
* koi pond build
With covid and Brexit, both have been challenges. Progress for each has been a testament to will and stubbornness.

I tend to break things down - order the BOM pieces for that module, then move onto the next. Definitely slow progress though!

what an excellent list! To be added: :)
- you need 2 tiny caps of unusual value and none of your suppliers stock them. You locate them at ebay but they are sold in bags of 100. Wth to do a hundred of these caps, I am no selling parts :) Plus the project will have to wait for at least one month

I guess I'm a lucky bastard because I still have an electronics parts shop within walking distance. When I miss some very ordinary part, I just buy it there. For anything exotic, I have the same issues as in the opening post.

*monty python*"you lucky lucky ...."

The local UK electronics (RS/Maplins ie selling resistors etc) all closed down years ago. DIY electronics simply has become an online activity in the UK.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A new one is the requirement for UKCA marking. This is sort of the existing old CE marking but newly introduced by the UK.

I heard from people in the UK wanting to order a simple 2-line display for the autoranger from Mouser, only to be told that they (Mouser) can't sell to them 'due to CE restrictions'.
Of course the display has not (yet) a UKCA marking.

Jan

Attachments

• ukca.PNG
    ukca.PNG
    65.1 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
A new one is the requirement for UKCA marking. This is sort of the existing old CE marking but newly introduced by the UK.

I heard from people in the UK wanting to order a simple 2-line display for the autoranger from Mouser, only to be told that they (Mouser) can't sell to them 'due to CE restrictions'.
Of course the display has not (yet) a UKCA marking.

Jan

Yet more cost for both import and export. I'm ashamed to be born in the UK..

How will this all end, will extra capacity come on line and everyone is happy (Option A) ? I'm sure things are already out of hand, more orders placed than are needed in order to find parts etc. means an awful inventory hangover for everyone once the party ends and this could be really nasty for quarterly earnings and all the rest that goes with it. Let's hope option A is the one that we end up with.

I had to put almost all my projects on hold. I am not about to use a $100 16GHz PLL chip in audio only because I cannot find the $5 chip I need. Or to re-design boards, only to find the chips are gone when receiving the boards. I hope in a better 2022, although I have the feeling there are economic entities that greatly profit from this silicon crisis, driving prices up, so it may be more than temporary.