When you dont see it coming.

Time will allow for some adjustment.
I remember when my parents split, my dad moved into part of an abandoned hospital after an agreement with the proprietor, as it was close to our home. He desperately wanted to stay close to my sister and I. That went a LONG way, even as an adult to know that.
Of course he eventually moved across town in a matter of months.

If you don’t already have one, I would recommend a basic workout routine. Maybe just begin with some push ups in the mornings to start the day, seems to help with self confidence anyways.

Phase,

Thank you. I'll give it a shot.

My own childhood my father was distant, and I saw him perhaps 3 times a year. By the time I was 12, he stopped coming. It was like I had lost him.

I always swore I wouldn't follow his example, and maybe I set myself a near impossible goal.

Since his leaving my mother and marrying his childhood sweetheat, he grew distant.

Now, years after his passing, I can understand some of the conflict that he must have felt, no matter how much of a bad example he may have been.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mondo,
It isn't easy and everyone is giving you good advice that helped me also. You're going to be a great dad if you want to be.

The timing of this isn't very good either, you need your friends. Things will become much better over time. The community here is wishing you the best, and they mean it.

-Chris

Yeah, real family life is more complicated than the sales brochures. You can grow up thinking you know your dad, then you start working with him and see the mask off and swear to yourself to never turn out that way. Years of emotional abandonment and the brazen hypocrisy of narcissism can be as traumatic as physical loss.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mondo,
So very sorry to hear about this and I hope that you are able rebuild your life and relationships with your children quickly. I know it is very tough to deal with.

Sometimes despite your best efforts things just run off the rails.

My moment was 22 years ago - did not see it coming, blindsided. No kids, but left a pretty big hole emotionally and otherwise. I did some stupid things over the next few years including getting mixed up with a woman who was even more messed up than I was. There is hope though, later I hooked up with my second wife and we've been together for almost 18 years.

I am also sorry to hear about this, and I know I would miss my children terribly if it happened to me.
On a lighter note Jackie Mason the ex-rabbi commedian, once said, he couldnt understand why so many people these days get divorced, Murder, yes, divorce never.

It is a shame that she never brought up what was troubling her.

Mondo, I find it endearing that you are reaching out and sharing this with us. It can't be easy. Ya, you're a pain in the butt sometimes but it's truly something special when you can share the likes of this with your diyAudio buddies. I admire your courage and forthrightness. I hope you are at peace with doing it. I also hope the best going forward.

Mondo, sorry to read you've had such a hard blow to overcome.

Make use of the modern day communications (phone, facetime) to keep in touch with your kids - a weekly catch up call to check in, see how their week went, find out how it's going I'm sure will do wonders - especially if you can keep it clockwork regular for them.

I'm sure they'll look forward to daddy's call as an ongoing part of their life.

Funny Joe that you had recently posted…
I just drove through Roy today on my way to McKenna to have a visit with my Dad and an uncle.
My Dad (81 years old) is visiting from out of state, and I like to get them together if possible.

They were both musing at how they have each (two brothers and a sister) have had several wives, and that nearly all their kids have had single marriages themselves, as well as their parents (my grandparents that is) and were wondering how they were so different. I don’t have an answer either…

Anyways Mondo, the first day is over for you at least, tomorrow can only be better.

Mondo, I find it endearing that you are reaching out and sharing this with us. It can't be easy. Ya, you're a pain in the butt sometimes but it's truly something special when you can share the likes of this with your diyAudio buddies. I admire your courage and forthrightness. I hope you are at peace with doing it. I also hope the best going forward.

Thank you Cal. And also my apologies.
Forthright, is right. I dont know how to be any other way. Whether I am wrong (mostly) or right, I cant call a Spade by any other name.

Last edited:
I cant call a Spade by any other name.

... Shovel? Scoop? Lighter excavation equipment? Digging tool?
Still mostly the same thing either way.
There's a saying: "Kjært barn har mange navn."
Translation: Dear child has many names.
Not so sure it's always the dearest child that get's the most names though...

Enough derailment from me.

Kaffiman,

A welcome distraction! It just one of those silly English phrases.

A spade and a shovel are similar tools, with different shapes (I can never remember which is which though, so this may be wrong)

A spade has a flat blade end.
A shovel has a curved blade end.

One is good for digging, one is good for mixing cement.

(Or vice versa)

A trowel is a mini shovel (or spade, depending on where my error lies)

Dearest child does indeed have multiple names:

Mister, lil dude, sweetheart, darling, nutcase.

:p

Fruit basket. ;)

Edit:
We also have that as a sort of internal joke from waybackwhen:
"Ho va'kje akkurat nåkke fruktfat."
"She wasn't exactly like those carefully painted still portraits of fruit."

Strange that most of those stills hide all the imperfections, fruit is never perfect in real life.

Edit2:
Well, perhaps you can find some musical inspiration from this thing. Intense feelings sometimes make the best melodies regardless of the feeling involved.

Last edited: