What's the oldest "electronics" book on your bookshelf?

Building Hi-Fi Speaker Systems - Philips (5th edition) 1973
Loudspeakers - EJ Jordan (First edition) 1963
Radiotron Designer's Handbook - Bought in about 1967, but much older edition.

I did have a complete collection of Electronics Australia Jan 1966 - > 1995 or so, but sold them in about 2008 due to lack of space in rented accomodation. They're all online now anyhow. Also had odd copies of Radio & Hobbies (pre-1965) which went with them. They were great for valve circuits.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy, by Sir Isaac Newton, 3rd Ed, 1686. Alas, a reprint (Kronecker-Wallis, 2018). Very nice reprint, original spine binding, three separate Books within the cover, as was the original. Book 1 and 2, Of the Motion of Bodies; Book 3, The System of the World.*
My favorite: Network Analysis and Feedback Amplifier Design, H. W. Bode, 3rd Ed, 1947.

Jan

*Example, Book II, Proposition I, Theorem I: "If a body is resisted in the ratio of its velocity, the motion lost by resistance is as the space gone over in its motion".

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Another example, which is the basis for the modern Scientific Method. This is from Book III, Rule IV:

"In experimental philosophy we are to look upon propositions collected by general induction from phaenomena as accurately or very nearly true, notwithstanding any contrary hypotheses that may be imagined, till such time as other phaenomena occur, by which (time) they may be made more accurate, or liable to exceptions."

Bold mine. This is from 1686 gentlemen!

Jan