Be careful what you say on chat groups.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few weeks ago I was on the EEVBLOG forum.
There was a thread about kicad.

I suggested my own software had some features kicad didnt and got on the end of a lot nasty attacks.

Since then my ebay account has been attacked from various people leaving bad feedback. Things like kicad is free so mine should be better.

kicad is not free, they had $20,000 worth of grants last year which come from taxpayers, so people have already paid for it.

Its probably on a par with about £300 software.

So comparing it with a package that is £4 for a download is grossly unfair to say the least.

Sorry, rant over..........

I never trashed kicad at all.

I just highlighted a few shortcomings and really upset a few people who think its wonderful.

Just because I am a vendor doesn't mean I wasn't being truthful.
Suggesting "agenda's" is just complete nonsense.

kicad got $20,000 funding last year.
I got zero as anything I made barely paid for the website !

If you like/prefer kicad then great but dont mess up my ebay account in retaliation ! that's just nasty.

Nigel, I believe you are objecting to people's honest opinions of your product and attitude.

Going around being butthurt is a helluva marketing strategy. I wish you success with your software. Your first strategy should probably be testimonials from customers (people who are not you) saying why they like it better than KiCad, Eagle, etc. When someone expresses positive opinions of competing products, you should not try to rebut, but learn how that might make your product better.

Why would anyone like a £4 piece of software over Eagle, kicad etc ?

This is my beef, "its not as good as Eagle"
Well of course its not Eagle is 75 times the price !

kicad is positioned around the £300 PCBCAD position in ratings so again comparing with mine is just nonsense.

There is nothing to get "butthurt" about, my sales went down the pan in December 2017 when someone brought out a £4 package on ebay and killed everything stone dead.
PCBCAD sales now are irrelevant, I make my money in systems now instead of giveaway software.

Crickey, I understand your frustration but ya breaking all the rules of sales and marketing 101.
-- only highlight the value proposition of your own product
-- never make comparisons with the opposition

-- never argue, especially on the internet

-- you are the only person who cares about funding (trivial stuff for a buyer)

-- most people will associate funding with merit (deserved or not) so its unwise to mention it

Nigel, I believe you are objecting to people's honest opinions of your product and attitude.

But they werent honest opinions !
Stupid remarks like its 2 colours are ridiculous to the extreme.
Its 32 bit ARGB colour same as every other modern pc program.
That's 2^32 combinations.

It was just simple nasty retaliation.
So you can understand why it got my back up.

There are a lot of vendors on DIYAUDIO.
Just some dont admit it and I can see why now.

Crickey, I understand your frustration but ya breaking all the rules of sales and marketing 101.
-- only highlight the value proposition of your own product
-- never make comparisons with the opposition

-- never argue, especially on the internet

-- you are the only person who cares about funding (trivial stuff for a buyer)

-- most people will associate funding with merit (deserved or not) so its unwise to mention it

Thanks for the great advice......

Last edited:
Its with regret I have to announce that I have now stopped selling PCBCAD51 and PCBCAD720.

In December 2017 my ebay listings got grossly undercut by another seller selling free pcbcad software for a couple of pounds. This made selling unviable.

Also with the onset of kicad it is just not worth the hassle anymore.
People expect perfection for no money which is unsustainable for me.

I will keep on using the software myself but it is no longer available to anyone else.

Its not really a problem for me as I have made nothing from it for years.
I am now concentrating on hardware/software systems where there is something tangible to sell and not something being given away.

Autoplacers, rotational, swap auto place, recursive fatorial autoplace
It also has a gridded and a gridless autorouters.
I believe kicad has autorouter but only via an app, its not built in.

Pretty academic now as I no longer sell it.
A waste of time when people are giving it away.
Also mine had very basic libraries. If I can find a source for large libraries I might add them but got more profitable projects on the go at the moment that wont be given away by others.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.