Football legend Diego Maradona passes away

I am grateful to zmano1, your country always has great admiration for Diego Maradona, despite being 15,000 km away from us. I am clear why it is, and despite the time that has elapsed, you have made me remember the concert for Bangladesh ... return of attention? Maybe you weren't born ......

Academia50,

Bangladesh is football crazy and people love Maradona - for folks of our age, his performance at 1986 World Cup left an indelible mark. In the 1990 WC Diego was already looking less fit, but what a player - again took the team to final... And who can forget replacement goalkeeper Goycochea's performance? In 1994 WC he looked in fine form, but what a disappointment when he got banned. Whatever team we were supporting, we always wanted to see Maradona play!

Brazil and Argentina are the two most popular teams in the country, and during World Cup times, the flags of Brazil and Argentina go up in the homes of fans. :) The folks who support European teams are still a minority, but nowadays growing.

Lionel Messi is the new darling among fans - I don't closely follow the fan sentiment, but probably he would be most liked and loved by football fans in our country.

You have guessed correctly I had not been born when the Concert for Bangladesh happened, but have heard a lot of about it.

Thank you for your love to Maradona.
As I already related, in Lima (Province of Buenos Aires, Argentina, where the first nuclear power plant was built here) they told me about Goyco, and in WC 1986 I was able to verify that he was like that, a great archer, "under the three sticks ".

Attachments

• 42b0146673bd353b7116530b9290dd31_MAIN.jpg
    42b0146673bd353b7116530b9290dd31_MAIN.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 86
It's really a wonder that he survived to live the life he did!

I dont get why he was so revered - besides the "hand of god" moment, and the rather....blind/corrupt referee/linesman, he wasnt really known for much else. He was mainly known for the hand ball that was allowed, and the corrupt nature of international and premier league football.

At least here. Kinda just a football playing equivalent of Scarface.
I was surprised to learn of his passing- I thought he had died of cocaine abuse, years ago.

Perhaps he performed some deeds of saintliness, and generosity, in his home nation, but it probably isnt well known, to much of the world. Who knows?

Last edited:
academia50 might get a bit cross at me here, but the Argentines have always felt hard done by. Personally I think Argentina is a perfectly lovely place to live.

I was enjoying the tribute to Diego from the Tunisian referee in 1986:

Diego Maradona: Tunisian referee Ali Bin Nasser relives 'Hand of God' match - BBC Sport

Diego presented the ref with a signed shirt. The ref could have blown up 3 times when Diego scored that magnificent 2nd goal against England. But didn't.

Alas we are descending into conspiracy theories now. Did the Doctor kill Diego as allegedly in the Michael Jackson case?

Diego Maradona: Police raid house and clinic of doctor - BBC News

I don't think so. He was a poorly man.

.........academia50 might get a bit cross at me here ........

...........Alas we are descending into conspiracy theories now. Did the Doctor kill Diego as allegedly in the Michael Jackson case?............

Not at all, I appreciate your contributions.
There are no conspiracies, Maradona refused all kinds of control and had even thrown him out to the doctor of the rest house that had been assigned to him and he lived locked up and depressed his last days. I think he said enough, I've lived too long.

I have practiced many sports since I was little, the first was soccer. I abandoned him prematurely due to a cunning foul that damaged my elbow joint. So I turned to sports without "physical contact" with the rival. Cycling, swimming, rowing, and in recent years tennis. I hope to resume it when the pandemic passes, if I can survive.
I always admired when seasoned tennis players catch a ball in the air with their racket just like Maradona did with his foot and the ball.
Great sensitivity is required to do this.
In other words, I think that the goal with "La mano de Dios" was not due to bad intention, it was something spontaneous ...:D

Cheers Steve;)
Rolo

Last edited:
Maradona - Gol del siglo (HD) - YouTube

El Gol del Siglo de Diego Maradona traducido en num... | Pagina12

" This Tuesday, June 22, marks the 35th anniversary of the “Goal of the Century” that Diego Armando Maradona performed against England in the 1986 World Cup in Mexico, which led the Argentine National Team to advance to the semifinals and then reach the World Cup. Next, a detail in figures of that unforgettable goal of ten.

10.6 were the seconds it took Maradona to reach the goal of British goalkeeper Peter Shilton to score the legendary goal.
52 meters had to cross the captain of the Argentine team to crown his work of art.
In total, Maradona took 44 steps and there were 12 touches he gave the ball with his left foot.
6 English, between field players and goalkeeper, were the rivals who were left on the road when trying to stop the football icon.
36 minutes remained of the game when Maradona sealed the 2-0. Gary Lineker came to deduct with 9 minutes remaining until the end of the game.
Diego Armando Maradona was 25 years old when he played the 1986 World Cup.
5 were the goals they made during the World Cup in Mexico in 1986. The Goal of the Century was the second to the English.
7 were the matches played by Diego with the Argentine National Team in the 1986 World Cup.
The match against the English was the 33rd for Maradona wearing the shirt of the Argentine National Team and number 10 in the World Cup.
The Goal of the Century was seen 35 years ago by 114,580 fans present at the Azteca Stadium, located in Mexico City, with a temperature of around 30 degrees."

" Este martes 22 de junio se cumplen 35 años del “Gol del Siglo” que Diego Armando Maradona realizó contra Inglaterra en el Mundial de México de 1986 que le llegó a la Selección Argentina avanzar a las semifinales para luego alcanzar la Copa del Mundo. A continuación, un detalle en cifras de aquel inolvidable gol del diez.

10.6 fueron los segundos que necesitó Maradona para llegar hasta el arco del arquero británico Peter Shilton para marcar el legendario tanto.
52 metros tuvieron que atravesar el capitán del seleccionado argentino para coronar su obra de arte.
En total, Maradona dio 44 pasos y fueron 12 los toques que le dio a la pelota con la zurda.
6 ingleses, entre jugadores de campo y arquero, fueron los rivales que quedaron en el camino al intentar frenar al ícono del fútbol.
36 minutos quedaban de partido cuando Maradona selló el 2 a 0. Gary Lineker llegó a descontar faltando 9 minutos para que finalice el partido.
25 años tenía Diego Armando Maradona cuando jugó la Copa del Mundo de 1986.
5 fueron los goles que realizaron durante el Mundial de México en 1986. El Gol del Siglo fue el segundo a los ingleses.
7 fueron los encuentros jugados por el Diego con la Selección Argentina en la Copa del Mundo de 1986.
El partido frente a los ingleses fue el 33 de Maradona vistiendo la camiseta de la Selección Argentina y el número 10 en Mundiales.
El Gol del Siglo fue visto hace 35 años por 114.580 hinchas presentes en el Estadio Azteca, situado en la Ciudad de México, con una temperatura que rondaba los 30 grados."

Pity about the Hand of God.

There were countless similar plays that went unnoticed by the referees.
But that gave football color and controversy ! :D
Do you prefer the VAR? Now a goal is disallowed after waiting ten minutes for an unknown referee to enjoy his moment of fame ...

Attachments

• 220px-Baldomero_Toledo_checks_VAR_-_Seattle_Sounders_vs._Sporting_Kansas_City.jpg
    220px-Baldomero_Toledo_checks_VAR_-_Seattle_Sounders_vs._Sporting_Kansas_City.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 80