Falcon9 is a go?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh my goodness that was (is) awesome! It's great we (as the world) have 2 crew launch programs once again. My uncle works at NASA and I have a composite image he took of STS-135 (last launch) that hangs on my wall. So, so cool.

Lucky you, RJM1, to get to experience it more tangibly than the rest of us!

According to Google Maps, LC-39A to my house is 13 miles SSW. 40 and 41 are a little closer. The view was pretty nice from here. Usually I can watch the launches from about 100m up with my drone, but was grounded today - probably because POTUS was in da house.

When I worked on-site at KSC, I occasionally used to watch launches from the marshes around the center because it was vitally important that we monitor our field systems during the launches, whichever had the best perspective on the launch (that they would let us get to). Vitally. And we needed our longest lenses to do so.

Today, there must have been something unusual in the exhaust plume, because my eyes kept tearing up.

Attachments

• IMG-20200530-WA0040.jpeg
    IMG-20200530-WA0040.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 128
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The other day on the first scheduled launch I was all packed up and ready to go. It's about a 4 hour drive. I had my Zoom recorder and 4 microphones ready to record the rocket's red roar. Didn't happen. :)

rco3, you must have a super view from that close. Did you hear it? At the astronaut hall of fame it can be darn loud. That's 7 miles.

Re: post 19,
It figures that the first manned commercial launch from the U.S. to the ISS
featured a crew of furrign McKenzies, working for an immigrant plutocrat,
making us all grandiose again through intelligent design.

Those booster landings still look like the 30s-era Sci-Fi illustrations
that 5-year-olds circa 1970 already knew weren't gonna happen, fuggetaboutit.
But...Wow! At least, anytime/everytime Elon fails to cut the satlink.

On the other hand, better set of 80s prime-time reboots than that Spuds-pup,
although I'm astonished by their restrained marketing plan, demonstrated via
a marked lack of on-air bikinittage.

Cheers, G'WhiNors!

You can definitely hear it. Has to get above the trees to see it, which takes several seconds. I could probably find a better vantage, honestly. I just walked out the front door.

I should set up a recorder.

Did you buy tickets ahead of time? They had signs along the highway yesterday announcing tickets for today were sold out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.