Since Human Ears Can Hear "Anything", what further use could that be?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So what we hear is different from what we think we hear.
So what we say is different from what we think we say.
So what we think is different from what we think we think.
This marvallous processing unit.

Interpretation getting in the way of communication. Our ability to directly measure the brain’s response is getting better and cheaper.

But someone needs a big budget to conduct tests.

dave

The musical brain seems long forgotten, but one day it'll be taken in consideration, I guess.
All this thread is just about...what?

Once the musical code and how its recognition from the brain ( the auditory/perception thing is another matter ) is performed...voilà! many of the perennial threads about psycoacoustics and measurements and bla bla bla, will be long forgotten either.

One thing that amuses me is: distortion

How can a part or two (or ten) per million cause a cracking in perception of the thing called music when there are things that are many orders of magnitude more important.
:rolleyes:

To get back to the original question I have come across an audiophile who swears he can easily hear differences in cables but I can not make such a claim at all.

Then again doing the Klippel test he could not hear THD below 2% while I could fairly easily hear 0.5%.

Make of that what you will...

We both may have chosen shoes way too big for us! :)

IMO Charles Darwin was one of the two greatest scientists, the other being James Clerk Maxwell who also was an all round good egg!
James always insisted on starting the academic year late so he could help the labourers on his ancestral farm in Scotland and that he would get one day per week off, paid of course, to hold lectures in a local working man's club.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.